ad: M2Ant-1

Washington State distracted driving law?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7KJY, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So it's ok to "kill innocent people and children", as long as they're responding to your heart attack.

Good to know.

FWIW, I'm more or less in agreement that we shouldn't be fiddling with our radios on the road. However, lumping in hams with drunken bums, and then leaving out another group that is demonstrably just as dangerous, is a logical fail.

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

They are being paid highly to take that risk, and someone else is paying if they get hurt or killed. They volunteered.

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got news for you. You are no better than a CB operator in the public eyes. Anyone with two nights and flash cards can get a General License. You do not need to know anything about radios. My wife and kids all have license and cannot spell radio or ham. At least the CB guys are fun to listen too. They never talk about how sick they are, how much equipment they have, or complain.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference is, an airline pilot is REQUIRED to use his/her radio as part of the job (when deemed safe). Hams ragchewing and simultaneously operating a lethal vehicle (without training or qualification) are not.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Every day I see people taking on their cellphone (not hands-free), eating, drinking, reading a book or newspaper, singing or yelling, doing all manner of things while driving. I have yet to see someone with a ham radio or CB radio microphone in their hand.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

I have... often. All it takes is one unnecessary "oops moment" to kill someone. :(

7. KJ4VTH

I'm sure it happens on rare occasion. You better play the lottery because you're way above average.

8. WA7PRC

Once is too often to NEEDLESSLY play with someone's life.

WR2E likes this.
  9. KJ4VTH

Dude, what is your story? I have lost several friends due to car wrecks. Not one of them involved a ham.

"Let it all hang out" as they used to say. What is your real problem with amateur radio?

10. WA7PRC

I've not lost a friend to a ham Driving While Hamming... yet. I want to keep it that way.