Washington State distracted driving law?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7KJY, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I of course, agree with you Mark!

There are far more distracting things that can happen in a car.
    One might be a parent with 1 or more kids in the car that are somewhat unruly! ("DON'T MAKE ME STOP THE CAR AND COME BACK THERE!!!!!") etc.

Or possibly an infant in a car seat (in the back of course) in some sort of distress.

Another would be the people that carry their dogs, cats and other animals in the car. (or animals PLUS kids for that matter)

While these scenarios might not be as prevalent as someone using a hands free cell phone or a hands free 2-way radio, I don't see anyone advocating state governments passing laws to prevent people from carrying their kids or pets or suggesting that when someone does, they should "loose" their license to drive!

I also don't think anyone in their right mind can argue simply talking on a cell phone in a car is MORE distracting than the above situations.

Maybe someone will suggest a law that puts kids in straight-jackets and muzzles so they can be carried with no distractions, and make it a law that animals must be carried in the trunk!!

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Like a lot of hams, you are in denial. You think you have a right to operate in your vehicle. News flash, you are an extreme minority. You would not even show up in a poll.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. K7MYR

Sorry Dereck, I'm not in "denial" about anything. But in my state, I do indeed have a legal right to operate any communications radio in my vehicle. Only hand held cellular phone use is prohibited ("hands-free" is allowed) in Wa State and of course texting is prohibited.

It might help to educate yourself on various state laws. Even your own home state of Oklahoma allows operation of cellular phones in a vehicle as long as it's not a commercial vehicle(or a bus etc) . Your own law enforcement determines if you are "distracted" by observing your driving.
    If you want to know more about Oklahoma Statutes, Check https://legiscan.com/OK/text/HB1044/2019 for the most current cell phone law recently passed and signed by your Governor which went into effect on 1 NOV 2019.

For other distracted driving statutes in Oklahoma, you can check Oklahoma Title 47. ยง47-11-901a, b, c, d

It's a fairly easy read. And Oklahoma also has a "Carve-out" for Citizens Band and other radios etc. They do not specifically mention Amateur Radio though.

Regards,

Rick

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no difference between a CB operator, ham operators, cell phone, or a drunken bum. All kill innocent people and children.

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

BOTTOM LINE, RADIO, CELL FONE ET AL;
    DRIVE RESPOSIBLY.
    LAWS ARE WRITTEN TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Or an emergency responder?

https://www.policeone.com/vehicle-i...-to-ease-distracted-driving-GRDAL5VDB4Rg3osC/

Distracted drivers of police cars, fire trucks and ambulances were to blame in collisions that killed three Southland residents, including Olin, and injured about 140 others in California in 2012 and 2013, according to local reporting and recent data from the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System that is run by the California Highway Patrol. Two of the three fatalities were caused by L.A. County and San Bernardino

County sheriff's deputies who were distracted, at least in part, by their patrol car computers.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PULLLLLLLLLLEZE!!!

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is such a thing as an acceptable risk. The guys that paint the bridges or climb a TV broadcast tower to replace a burned-out light incur a certain risk.

Emergency vehicles responding to your call for help because you are having a heart attack are involved in a certain amount of risk. There is a reason for flashing lights and siren. If time is a factor in saving your life should the emergency vehicle first find a spot and then pull off the road to use the radio or cell phone or should they get additional information as quickly as possible? I would take the second option if I were the one having the attack.
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/acceptable-risk

K0UO likes this.
  9. K7MYR

You're making completely rational, salient points here. However it appears that some might not want to hear it.

K0UO and K3XR like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget to factor in the police haters that frequently make an appearance when this or similar threads are posted.