Washington State distracted driving law?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7KJY, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately. Where I live (near you) used to be sparsely-populated (almost zero traffic). Now, the arterials are almost always in use (and often, crowded). And its getting worse. Now, we can add yet ANOTHER thing to have to watch out for on our roads in WA. :(

2. WA6III

WA6III Ham Member QRZ Page

The number of hams operating mobile in Wa likely makes the odds of getting into an accident due to one talking on the radio less than getting hit by an asteroid.

I am thinking you can probably relax.

WR2E and K0UO like this.
  3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Does anyone have any information regarding what is allowed and what is not?"

You are allowed to operate your HT anywhere on the planet if

your vehicle has at least ONE visible multi element antenna - Yagi, Quad , loaded vertical mounted on
    so I can either keep distance from you or pass you on next opportunity
    AND
    in your rear windshield you have "ON THE AIR" sign properly illuminated while you are transmitting
    AND
    your state license plate shows your callsign

Keep clam...

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Just... WOW! o_O

Rhetorically (not expecting nor wanting a reply), because of the low odds of dying, I wonder what other safety guidelines we can/should ignore... motorcycle helmets? Seat belts? The list is L-O-N-G.:rolleyes:

5. WA6III

Well, some "Rhetorical" questions do actually "beg" a reply I would think...... It would appear that Motorcycle helmets and seat belts don't fall into the same category as using personal electronic or other devices that might distract the driver, since a distracted driver can absolutely place other drivers and pedestrians in grave danger.

Non-use of helmets and seat belts only endanger the person making the personal choice to NOT use them.

There is a difference between using a cellular phone and simply speaking into a wired microphone (assuming it doesn't have multi-function controls on it)

This may be why the Wa State Legislature exempted certain two-way radio operations.

Simply speaking into a microphone, speaking to a person sitting next to you or speaking "at" the remote Bluetooth hands free system either built-in or clipped to the visor etc, doesn't necessarily cause excessive distraction.

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Simply speaking into a microphone, speaking to a person sitting next to you or speaking "at" the remote Bluetooth hands free system either built-in or clipped to the visor etc, doesn't necessarily cause excessive distraction."

I am positive you can come up with more "reasons".

Here are mine

if ONE person become SK due to NOT paying FULL attention to his her driving - it is ONE too many!
    if ONE person become SK due to OTHER driver NOT paying FULL attention to his her driving - it is ONE too many!

Your choice and if you need SOMEBODY ELSE to instruct you NOT to participate in distracted driving , irregardless of your definitions or source , there is very little anybody else can do for you and others with whom you share the road.

How is DX?

7. WA6III

Not sure if DX is relevant to this discussion (unless you're working DX while driving) but, we can probably agree on the above.

Since people drive distracted all the time, and for no obvious reasons,
    The only sure way to prevent those "ONE too many SKs" would be to prohibit driving altogether.

Oh.... And DX sucks. Sure wish the next cycle would hurry up and start!

Cheers,

Rick

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hop[e you are old and loose your driving privileges. What is it about hams that make them think they are better drivers while distracted? You are a danger to the public. Distracted driving has taken over alcohol as the number 1 killer in automobile accidents. It has gotten so bad companies with company radios are forbidden to be used while the vehicle is in Drive. Utility I have worked with TX is disabled when in Drive or Reverse. Hams need to suffer the same consequences for negligent actions the rest of folks have to put up with.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

All the studies I've seen show equal distraction between hands free cellular use and handheld use. The distraction was not holding the device in your hand (dialing or texting is something else), it was the remote conversation -- especially one that is two-way and not one-way (PTT).

In fact, I saw one study where handheld use show lower distraction levels (but it was not significant statistically). I can imagine this because with a call occurring on a handheld phone, you can just dump the phone in your lap when the conversation gets distracting or when the driving situation gets more difficult. With hands-free, you have to tell the other person to be quiet first.

From the start, any restrictions on use targetting only handheld use, was because it would have been impossible to pass legislation to fully outlaw cell use while driving. Other nations have done this, but in the US, any restrictions so far are just on texting, and handheld phone use -- like in Washington state.

Looking at distractions, all have different levels. Most of course is when the task requires taking your eyes off the road, like texting, dialing numbers, changing channels, looking for things in your car, etc. But remote conversations do show reduction in driver reaction times and in how active they are at scanning the road ahead (people in conversations tend to not scan the road ahead, but instead just focus on the center part of the road).

Best I think is to try to reduce distractions as much as you can, use good judgement as to whether it is a good situation or not to allow some distractions.

Mark

10. WA6III

Hmm, it appears that just discussing using a mobile radio should cause me to "loose" my license huh?

You probably should not ever get into an airliner because the pilot flying might be talking on the radio and getting distracted!