Washington State distracted driving law?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7KJY, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is many of us visit your state also, we want to be good law-abiding amateur radio operators.
    I'll tell you one thing, I don't consider my microphone as a handheld personal device!!!!!
    The manufacturers really need to get on board and make equipment, that is Bluetooth and with voice commands that work. The Technology's been there for almost a decade, we really need to demand that so we can operate in all States hands-free and with less distraction.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Less distraction = not occupying your brain with stuff unrelated to operating your lethal vehicle. Hands-free still at least partially occupies the brain, and the concept of multifunction has been disproven. We can do only one thing at any moment in time.

!!!!! <-- Matching number of exclamation marks, for equivalent emotional effect. :p

3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with that, however we all have to multi-function doing many different things all the time, turning on the windshield wipers, using the turn signals, or talking to our X Y L or kids in the car.
    I can guarantee you if, I have hands-free operation and I'm talking to friends on ham radio, it keeps me I'm more awake then if, I was just sitting there listening to some music. Being a pilot when flying with air traffic control, sometimes they just call you up to see if you're still up awake and on frequency, and it always perks you up when you hear your call.

4. WA7PRC

Operating the vehicle controls is necessary.
    Operating anything else isn't.

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

If my XYL is talking to me I'm sure going to have to listen to her!!! If you're not a good nut driver to do that then you probably don't need a driver license in the first place!!! And if I'm flying an airplane and asked by air traffic control to talk to them it's my obligation for aircraft safety to do so. Next thing will be wanting to take out the FM or satellite radios out of car because we can't listen to the radio and drive safely, there's over a hundred million cars in the US with radios in them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. WA7PRC

Sheesh o_O

7. KB7MKC

KB7MKC Ham Member QRZ Page

ham radio is exempt from that law

8. KD0TDG

KD0TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't stress over it. Distracted driving offenses can broadly be interpreted as fiddling around with your heater controls. And if they intend on 2-way radio equipment to be included public safety, dept of transportation, utilities etc would also fall into that realm.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The agencies you mention frequently have exemptions in the regulation for obvious reasons.

10. KD0TDG

KD0TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.672 K3XR, I'm not disagreeing but am saying broadly anybody can be cited for inattention and 2-way equipment generally is not included and also exempts ham, children's band, gmrs, frs users. Washington did a good job in explaining what they are deeming as a personal electronic device.