Was Eliminating Morse Code Requirement Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on guys, stop insulting the horse!!!

2. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone here remember sharpening up their code skills by listening to the Maritime Ops? My 2nd contact I made as a novice was with one of these Pros and he sent a card along with a history of ham radio and welcomed me to the hobby. Now those were Elmers!!

3. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Good ideas, however I bet the politicians see it this way.
    $50 fee for a 5 year license.
    A 15 question test on basic regs.

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

uo_1531086296-29131-297.jpg
    John, WB0MPB

WN1MB and WD0BCT like this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can re-live those days of listening to Coast Stations & Ships by going to this site. (click-on what you want to listen to & it'll start)

https://archive.org/details/MarineM...njure/WLO_434kHz_KLC_484_WNU_478_05111993.mp3

ex Coast Station CW Operator 1988-1995

6. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W5BIB

I have the book "The TELEGRAPH INSTRUCTOR" By: G.M. Dodge, dtd 1911.

In it he lists the salary range for a Land-Line Telegrapher (Railroad & Western Union) in 1911. The pay was $50-$150 per-month !! Using $100.00 per-month as a median salary, that works out to $663.00 per-week in 2018 money.

He also states that the best age (back then) to learn the art of Telegraphy was 15-28 years of age.

"Dodge's Institute of Telegraphy"
    in Valparaiso, Ind. offered a course in Telegraphy that lasted 6 months at a cost of $45.00 !!

A very interesting book that sells for $30-$40. (Just Google it)

77 - 72/73

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$663 per week is only $34,476 per year. I think the workweek was more than 40 hours back then, too.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

yeah,... I wouldn't be surprised if they worked 12 hour shifts.

10. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck YEAH! Up half the freekin' night with a set of cans squeezing my ears. The old Drake rx I used then is still sitting in the shack. Mostly listen to hockey on it now because it's only a general coverage rx (SSR-1; not all that old).

Now I DO understand things change and hopefully for the better...but I'd STILL like to be listening to the pros slinging dits on 600 metres. It's great we have all this expensive technology, but I learned a long time ago that if your technological level is lower you won't get left afoot when it falls out from under you. Plus you have a chance of fixing it yourself.

Processing in the human brain is better than in a chunk of polluted silicon. Problem is you have to work at training the processor. Upside is that you understand how something works and can find creative alternatives if needed.

Resilience is better than planned obsolescence.

Chuck VE7PJR

AF7XT and WN1MB like this.