ad: ProAudio-1

Was Eliminating Morse Code Requirement Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

After getting comfortable on the air with CW, I'm starting to wonder if eliminating the code requirment on the Tech test was a bad idea.

Yes, it took a bit to learn, but wow....It opens up many more opportunities to communicate than the 2 meter band that everyone seems to start on. After using CW for a month. 2 meters I am rarely on 2 meters anymore. Also, it seems like a basic foundation skill to have as an operator.

Any thoughts???

KB2FCV, W1BR, KC7JNJ and 3 others like this.
  2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually yes, two thoughts.
    One, I don't necessarily disagree on any point.
    Two, This thread will not end well

I commend you for sharing the observation but the fanatical hoard will be along shortly

AJ6KZ, VE3BXG, AG5CK and 12 others like this.
  3. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am a know coder....congrats...

K5VZD likes this.
  4. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Code was required when I got my General ticket, but it was only a 5WPM requirement and I struggled even with that. Getting on air at 5WPM didn't work out well for me and I abandoned code in favor of digital modes back then and that soon became boring. 3 years ago a fellow ham encouraged me to re-learn the code and use it for QRP. The resources for learning CW today are far better than when code was a requirement, and my motivation for learning was now because I thought it would be fun rather than a gate for entry. That was big difference for me.

Reinstating the requirement will never happen, but if it did occur today's code learners would have a much easier time of it.

VE3BXG, K9FV, N8ZL and 2 others like this.
  5. K9CPO

K9CPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed that it should still be required. But since it is not a requirement there are a few reasons it is still a good idea to learn Morse code even if you only have your tech ticket.

1. CW will get through under almost all band conditions.
    2. It has been used for well over 150 years for emergency communications and it is still alive and well today. You never know when you need it.
    3. You may only use 2m/70cm and repeaters. However, you may be traveling and you hear that far off repeater and wonder "Which one is it?" Most repeaters ID with Morse code. You know CW then you know that distant repeater.
    4. Morse code is fun once you have mastered it.

There are many other reasons why it is a good idea for a ham to know CW. Just take the time to learn this fine communication method. Here is a link for different ways to learn it... http://www.arrl.org/learning-morse-code

AJ6KZ, K8PG, N8ZL and 2 others like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Dragging out the dead horse again, eh?

K9FV and AC0GT like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that exams for General should now include the requirement to identify the functional blocks of an SDR radio.

K1SZO, N0TZU and KV6O like this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Extra exams should now include the SDR topics of I/Q separation (AD/DA), Decimation, Nyquist Theory as a limiting factor with calculation problem, and FPGA component principles.

Forget morse, it's time to include SDR knowledge!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  9. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There should also be a requirement to build and tune a basic dipole antenna

KE0YIY, W8ARC, K9FV and 9 others like this.
  10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

...and here we go

N8DAH, KD9KSO, AC8UN and 1 other person like this.