ad: vanity

Warranty Repair? Kenwood D74

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KD6E, Jul 9, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD6E

KD6E Ham Member QRZ Page

My new D74, purchased May 22, 2017 is dead. Radio won't turn on even with the power pack plugged in. No indication of charging in the radio. Power pack tests good with 12+ volts. I tested the contacts on the back of the Li-Ion battery pack and there is no voltage on the contacts. Resistance tests infinity among all the contacts.

Shouldn't the radio power up when plugged into 12 volts even with a dead battery?

If the battery was good, shouldn't I see some voltage in the contacts?

I had the radio sitting on a table, not plugged in, running on battery, monitoring a couple of repeaters, and I assumed it powered off automatically when I came back to it. That's when I found that it would not turn on.

Strange that it seems like both radio and battery have failed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on going about getting it repaired under warranty?

I cannot find any warranty information anywhere on line. Is it one year? Is the battery warranted for one year or less?

If anyone has any info or tips, I would appreciate them. Thanks.

-Ron, KD6E

2. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically a one year warrantee is standard. Failure in less than two months is still considered "infant mortality." If you eliminate user error, or failure of any connections, get it back to Kenwood for repair.

4. LW1EXU

LW1EXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ron,
    What luck have you had with the failure of your th-d74?
    Before yesterday has it happened same failure in my new (only two weeks of use) th-74

73 de LU8DQ
    Guillermo

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Information, you require, is on the Kenwood web site: kenwood.com
    You can safely contact Kenwood from that web page:
    https://inquiry.kenwood.com/contact/usa/index.asp

JVC KENWOOD USA Corporation
    Communications Sector
    3970 Johns Creek Court, Ste. 100
    Suwanee, GA 30024

Amateur Radio
    Phone: (310) 639-4200, Option 4, Option 1
    Fax: (310) 761-8290
    ===
    KENWOOD USA : Warranty Repairs / National Service Centers
    http://www.kenwood.com/usa/Support/National_Service_Centers/

These independent facilities have been contracted by KENWOOD U.S.A. Corporation to provide warranty and repair service for all KENWOOD products.
    --
    For Kenwood Amateur Radio Warranty & Non-Warranty Repairs,
    there are TWO USA Service Centers.

KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - PACIFIC
    19501 East Walnut Drive South
    CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91748
    Phone: 626-333-2443
    http://fthgroupinc.com

KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - EAST
    829 LYNNHAVEN PARKWAY #130
    VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23452-7224
    Phone: 757-340-1702
    http://www.avsl.net
    ====
    *Important Out of Warranty Repair Information*
    Please be advised that upon evaluation, out of warranty units may be determined to be "not repairable" due to parts availability. Before sending any products for repair, we recommend that you contact the service location for information regarding your specific model, out of warranty service fees, and return shipping charges.
    KENWOOD will not be held responsible for installation or shipping charges in accordance with the service of out of warranty units.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. K0EN

K0EN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron, my TH-D74A went dead in the same way. DX Engineering speculated it was a defective battery, but, like you, I wonder, shouldn't the rig power up with external DC, defective battery or not? Maybe someone can comment.

7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the older Kenwood radios would only 'trickle' charge the battery with external DC, and if the battery went fully 'south' or discharged, the result might only be a short 'blip' of the LCD or audio on power up. What does it take for a battery to charge fully from a 'trickle' charger? Usually between 12 and 24 hours. Be aware that some newer batteries expect a designated 'smart' charger, designed for the specific chemistry. Most Nickel-Cadmium ( NiCD ) cells were not this way, yet becuase the older NiCD chargers were capable of overcharging NiMH ( Nickel-metal hydride ) to the point of melting the case ( as in older Maha chargers without temperature sensors ), the new batteries have chips involved to prevent overheating, and sometimes the use of incorrect chargers. Do not expect external DC to power any newer radio without some charge in the battery. Do not expect that just a 'good voltage' measurement means the battery is good. That is why they make load testers, as does West Mountain. Your Lithium ion pack may be defective or have the wrong charger. I would explain that to Kenwood and make note of who I talked to before sending in the radio. You might save some postage fees ( be sure you check about regulations at USPS offices regarding batteries and sizes ).

8. W6SFG

W6SFG Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W6SFG

W6SFG Ham Member QRZ Page

RON,
    DON'T GIVE UP YET. THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME..
    HERE'S WHAT I DID.

I removed the battery from the desk charger and then removed the battery from the radio. I let both set for an hour.
    I reattached the battery, but still DOA.
    I dropped it in the charger, but still DOA.
    At that point I removed the battery and checked the surface voltage.
    It measured about 7.2v, but remember that was NOT under load.

My guess is that your radio (and mine) turned off when the battery voltage dropped below the radio's operating threshold.
    My guess is that the battery would not charge in my desk charger because the voltage was below the charge threshold of the charger.

When you measure your D-74 battery voltage please close to the polarity and connections-Use the two Gold OUTSIDE contacts on the back of the battery. The Lone isolater contact is the Positive.

I then put my battery, less radio on an external li charger (observing polarity) and let it charge for an hour.
    While the battery was being charged I then took my automobile charging cable, plugged it into the D-74 (without the battery on) and set my lab power supply to 12.5 volts.
    The radio now powered on just fine.
    I then took the partially charged battery from the external li charger and put it on the radio.
    The radio would still not power on.

So I dropped it back in the desk charger for about 3 min, hit the power ON button while in the charger
    (Be careful to NOT hit the PTT button) and the radio came on and operated normally.

I then removed the radio from the charger and it continued to operate on its own battery.
    However when I went to menu item 922 (Battery status) the battery is still registering very low
    (yellow 1/2 scale.)

I now suspect that I have a bad battery or had just allowed mine to get too low.

If you try this and it works for you, please email me so I can share this with other TH D-74 users. (w6sfg@outlook.com or use the email link on my QRZ page)

Good luck my friend.

10. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

been quite a few of these of late with a faulty chip in the charging circuit, normally shows up as a flashing screen with no buttons working at all, the only way to stop the screen flashing is to remove the battery, mine went in for repair for this reason, and the shop had seen a few of these with the same fault, not the same fault as yours but maybe could still be the charging circuit fault letting the battery drop to low

M6VTX likes this.