WARNING: Windows 10 Incompatible with FLDIGI

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am reading reports of this around the web. Apparently, there are issues with upgrading to Windows 10 if you run FLDIGI / Signalink. There are USB audio codec issues.

I wanted to modify the title of this to include Signalink, but maybe the mods want to research this.

I am sure it will be fixed, but for now, best to wait, or contact your manufacturer.

Source: W7MCP

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. W7MCP

W7MCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe it is a Signalink issue as my Jt65HF program works fine using the Signalink and the same codecs. I also downloaded Digipan just to test this and it also works fine. Waiting to see if others have this issue. May be something unique to my setup.

Mark/W7MCP

KD0QG likes this.
  3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been running fldigi without any problem on Win10 for several months now. No Signalink in the mix here, however.

4. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if I can't get fldigi to work that just gives me a good reason to keep my DELL M90 XP-plus setup just for my radio links...

Havent got that far yet on converting over to WIN 10... My initial download went without hitch on the 29th... took about three hours to complete on my DELL laptop WIN8.1 i just purchased 6 months ago. Not so lucky for my other HP 8.1 however. It hangs up at 32% upgrade point...

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Microsoft Windows 10 Disk Image (ISO File) -- Download Page
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Microsoft has updated its website on July 29, 2015 with links to download the ISO files for Windows 10.
    With a product key handy (Windows 7 or 8),
    the ISOs can be used to run a clean install of the new operating system.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-i...s-windows-n-kn-versions-what-are-they-2031530

The ISO page also reveals the existence of two less-talked about versions:
    Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN.
    What are they, and should you download them?

These versions are nothing new: they've been around since Windows XP.
    If you know your system has either Windows N or KN installed,
    it is important that you download the relevant version of Windows 10.
    Upgrade paths must follow the previous version,
    e.g. Windows 7 Pro N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro N.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is it is a port assignment problem. I would check before jumping hoops.

Plug and play is still plug and pray, That needs a few tweaks, and a ticket to heaven.

Good Luck.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

My PC decided to upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1 Friday night, right before Winter Field Day. I stayed up just long enough to make sure it rebooted OK before I went to bed. Saturday the PC ran fine for N3JFP, but when I switched to FLDigi and tried to change modes, the PC locked up. Happened over and over. This was with an FT-450D and a Signalink USB. Finally gave up and worked phone the rest of the day.

Later, I decided to revisit the issue, and after finding a way to turn on a debug logger in FLDigi, I noticed the last error message before the program locked up was related to the audio drivers. I delved further and discovered for Win 8.1, you had to select MME USB Audio Codec from the list, and not the plain USB Audio Codec. Problem solved.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us are operating older ham radio software, logging programs etc., and you might find it useful to know that Windows 10 is capable of running them.

To explore this feature right click on Start ---> Control Panel ---> Programs.

Look under the "Programs and Features" tab header and find the link called 'Run programs made for previous versions of Windows"

Click this link and after selecting "Next" it will start a Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter. It will search and detect programs on your PC. You can then select a program from the generated list, and Windows 10 will configure them to operate under Windows 10.

This is how you configure older programs on your PC to run under Windows 10.

9. K8DOC

K8DOC Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently upgrade from Win 8 to 10 on an Acer aspire v 122 P I use a sgnal link USB and also had the greyed out audio set up screen. MMTTY and Digipan worked fine. I tried compatibility mode for both win 8 and 7 with no success. My Acer has Realtek High Def Audio. The driver was 6.0.1.7535 dated 6/15/15 I rolled it back to a driver dated 3/19/2013 6.0.1.6865 that I downloaded from Acer and now everything appears to be working ok.
    There is a setting in WIN 10 to keep it from automatically updating drivers but I don't remember the exact menu. Also if an update is hidden it won't try to install it again .
    Perhaps this will help someone

Rick K8DOC

10. W8BE

W8BE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run Fldigi and a signal link on win 10. No issues. Good luck