WARNING: QRZ Security Issues

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by AE0S, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Close ... you forgot the color!

2. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, maybe I am missing something. Some unscrupulous person in another country hacks my QRZ account. Then what? What can they do? Delete my log book? Mess with my LOTW uploads? Change my QRZ profile? Put fake for-sale ads up? So other than an inconvenience, what happens? It's not like QRZ has my checking account and routing number. Maybe I am overlooking something?

N3UPM likes this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for catching that. It should be "bluefidoschmidttoplessbar"

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. AJ4GQ

Yes, you are. Somebody doesn't hack your QRZ account. You willingly give them your password via a simple phishing scheme. Fake for sale ads are an inconvenience? Tell that to the person who was scammed out of $1,500. You handed out your password and thereby enabled the scammer. It is a big deal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a lot of people get caught and need to blame someone else.

Just like when your big sister blamed you when she got in trouble for doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

6. N2IPH

N2IPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Must have at least one cap, one punctuation character, and one number, so no.

Maybe this

sFcIhDmOid_ttoplessbar6

Actually a phrase is very easy to remember and difficult to hack. Why? because you can make a phrase many characters long without straining your brain.

Something like

RoseS aRe Red VioletS Are Blue

that's 30 characters long and NOT a good choice since it's a common phrase but if you take three or four words that have no connection and string them together with spaces or an underscore in between now you've got something.

More reading on the subject:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securi...now-about-passwords-says-man-who-made-n790711

---snip from above story in 2017---
    For instance, "Tr0ub4dor&3" could take just three days to crack
    while "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple" could take 550 years.
    ---snip---

7. AJ4GQ

Sounds good except for one minor persnickity detail. If it is going to include a topless bar, I prefer a 10 rather than a 6. Think Bo Derek.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

And people think we have issues. :p

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like ("Password1")

That 13 char password should confuse the system. :confused:

N2IPH likes this.