ad: AbAuRe-1

Warning: Elecraft KX3 and Accessories

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W6KKO

W6KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would simply click on the "Report" link that is available on every post, so that whomever is moderating can review the concern.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a question for you Fred. This is something that makes me nervous. Please tell me if I am being to paranoid?
    When the Paypal email address does not match the seller or buyers QRZ page email that makes me nervous. Am I being too paranoid when I think that?
    I have been selling items and am working on a complete station ad on QRZ and I am always nervous. I come from parents that worry about everything so I may just have learned to be worried from my parents.

Thanks Fred, de John, WB0MPB

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not wrong to be worried but that alone isn't necessarily a red flag. People commonly have multiple email addresses so it wouldn't be unusual for someone's Paypal address to be different from their QRZ profile address, especially if they use an address with their callsign for ham-related business and a more generic one for Paypal and other things.
    More of a concern would be if their Paypal shipping address and QRZ/FCC address don't match. That IS a red flag.

K8XG and WB0MPB like this.
  4. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I say castrate the crook.

5. K8JST

K8JST Ham Member QRZ Page

My paypal email address is my family's email (wife and I use that) while my QRZ address is my personal. I think this is fairly common.

KK5XX and WB0MPB like this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Offhand, I can't blame people for having multiple email addresses, as I, myself, have several. It seems fairly prudent to have a unique email just for Paypal use.

Here on QRZ, we maintain TWO email addresses for every user, the primary email and the listed email. The primary email is the one which we use to validate the user's existence, and for any administrative notices that need to go to the user. This could also be called the user's account email address. We NEVER disclose this address to anyone outside of QRZ HQ. Then, we save the email address that the user chooses to list on their public call sign page. We do not verify this latter address at all, and users are free to put anything in there. This gives rise to the obvious question of "how much do we trust what is shown on the user's call sign page"?

Paypal doesn't disclose the ownership of its accounts, however, you can ask the seller to send you a PayPal Invoice. The invoice should give you some info about the seller. Another test would be to send the seller one dollar ($1) and then ask him to refund it. This kind of two-way transaction, while not necessarily all encompassing, can you make your decision.

Also, I pay attention to writing skills and grammar. If the seller is poor in his command of English, or is an extraordinarily bad speller, I take pause.

Finally, I can't help but consider that the vast majority of transactions here are conducted without issue.

73 -fred

KK5XX, K9SPY, VE5RH and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.