Warc bands

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is sort of a followup to my previous thread. If the question's been asked recently and I missed it, please make this post disappear :eek:

So for background, I have an ft817, mostly ssb and CW, and was debating whether to buy an mfj-1899t. It's 4x the price of their monoband antennas but covers ten bands with appropriate counterpoise.

The incidental question is: are the WARC bands more or less friendly to QRP? Understood that they're probably a little less busy, which could mean fewer contacts, but also means fewer amp pilots to steer around, and people on them are there deliberately.

I dunno. Thoughts?

2. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

30 meters is totally qrp friendly...will be listening for ya.

KC3JIN likes this.
  3. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

K5vzd, 30 is definitely on the list either way :)

Was even thinking if I went the monoband vertical route one of them would have to be for 30.

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

30m is a lot of WARC but I got WAS confirmed so it was worth it. :)

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

17m seemed plenty friendly to QRP 2 years ago when I was able to make DX SSB contacts with my FT817. I'm sure it will be the same when conditions improve.

KU4X and KC3JIN like this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I think 30m is outstanding, always open to somewhere. 17m, I've had some amazing QSOs, give it a shot, don't get your hopes up. 12m, see you there in 3 or 4 years...

But curiously 10m has openings, maybe E skip? Worth a tune through...