Wanted: A Good pop3 Email Provider ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KF2YD, Oct 21, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanted: A Good pop3 Email Provider ?

Been using pop3 GMX.con and after a while it stops sending and receiving emails but the web mail still works. I do not like the GMX web mail because it does not allow you to forward your emails.

I have a pop3 yahoo mail for a backup but I was reading that they soon may be going to web mail only.
    QTH.com will provide you with a pop3 email but there is a catch, you have to have your own domain.

If anyone knows of a good pop2 email provider please let me know ?

Frank KF2YD

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using IMAP to access Gmail. From what I remember Google tried to cancel POP/SMTP access but there was an a lot of pushback and so they backed off. Also IIRC you have to go into your Google security settings and activate that access.

3. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

<sarcasm>

POP/IMAP gives the user too much control over their content.

ISPs have been blocking SMTP port(s) since about the mid 90's. Too much control there too.

These in the hands of normal users prevent monetizing spam. Can't have that now, can we?

There's too much freedom out there as it is.

</sarcasm>

...or is it?

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

mail.com, although if you want POP and some other features you have to upgrade from the free account to Premium (about $20/year).
    I've been using it for years and it's reliable. POP and webmail work well and there is also a phone app and browser extension.

5. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are stuck with an MS Exchange based email system you can use Davmail to access it via POP/IMAP:

http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

It also works with 2nd factor authentication.

Tor N4OGW

6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yahoo pop3 access isn't really going away. I have a couple of yahoo accounts for various dedicated purposes and had to make a minor change to each one in order to keep 3rd party application access (in my case Mozilla Thunderbird) alive after October 20. Basically you remove the account, and then re-enter it, and it will update the security method it uses, in order to remain compliant. You can find the detailed instructions here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN27791.html?impressions=true
    It's October 21 and working fine. :)

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use gmail pop and am perfectly happy with it. I use MailWasher and Thunderbird with no problems.

8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're willing to pay for it, protonmail.com is who I would recommend and in addition to their webmail and mobile apps (to support full encryption capabilities) they also support IMAP clients.

PU2OZT, N5AF and KK9W like this.
  9. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Domain names are cheap. and honestly IMO better off running your own email from a domain you own then use some shady company like google/gmail yahoo etc.

KA5IGI likes this.
  10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Until your ISP can't get the RDNS lookup working correctly and so certain domains start bouncing your email, some security hole allows the Russians to start relaying spam through your sever, or ....

Life is WAY too short to worry about running your own email server.