want to make a 6m dipole, need measurements

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AG3Y, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Asking a question in a public internet forum is the same as asking one aloud in a room filled with people.

You may receive a correct answer; you may receive an incorrect answer; you may receive a dozen opinions; and you may receive lots of advice on questions that were never asked.

That's life.

It's far better to simply refer to an acknowledged, accredited textbook to find the answer -- always. Usually faster, too.

The time to post a question in a public forum or a room filled with people is when you're specifically looking for opinions; then, expect to receive them.

WB2WIK/6

2. W1PRI

W1PRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen. Questions and abuse would be the perfect way to sum it up.  Ok, I really have to split this time.  I try to stay away but I keep getting sucked up into the negativity.  For those who offered valuable information or support, I thank you.  For those condescending people who called me names, shook their heads, and made arrogant and spiteful comments about what kind of ham I am, I can only say I regret having corresponded with you and lowering myself to your level.  I hope never to run into any of you on the air.  The beacon will go up next week on a frequency of MY choosing which probably wont be 07, but definitely in that neighborhood.  73 and happy holidays.

3. K3UD

K3UD Guest

N1KOQ,

My advice would be not to worry about it. When I was licensed as a Novice in 1964 I was probably the least informed member of the ham community. I had no idea what a dipole was let alone how to calculate the size of one. I did not know anything about coax or the connectors needed for it. I had a DX-40 transmitter and a length of wire running out my window to a tree. I plugged the wire into the center of the coax connector on the DX-40 and tuned for maximum reading on the plate meter. Needless to say no one could hear me on the 80 meter Novice band [​IMG]

It took me some time to begin to get proficient with the theory needed to begin to make things work they way they should. After that it has been 41 additional years of learning that will never stop until I am in the ground.

So don't worry. Cut you dipole and set up your station.

George
    K3UD

Merry Christmas to all (and Happy Holidays if anyone needs the PC version [​IMG]

4. W1PRI

Thank you George. Merry Christmas to you too. Hope to hear you on the air. Jim

5. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on - I wouldn't be so quick to assume the reason he ask such a question without 1st knowing the background for asking. Do any of us REALLY know? Should we really care?

Myself, I have a medical condition that "swiss cheeses" the h*** out of my memory & it gets aggravating at times & I get tired of looking up the info I can't remember - Thus at times I would just like to get the answers ASAP - no hassle.

This could be his (or anyone else's) reason. Do you know it isn't? - SHEESH

Tell me none of you has ever forgot -even for a moment - any of the basic stuff.
    [​IMG]

6. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You made the point that I was about to make.  I work with people who are mobility and/or mentally impaired everyday - often, people just like anyone else, until a stroke, brain tumor, brain hemmorage, or other "accident" happened to destroy their cognitive abilities.

It really doesn't matter why someone asks a question, or what the question is.  What matters is whether, or not, we are willing to answer it.  If we are, then we should answer it - if not, then we should remain silent, or at least encouraging, rather than discouraging.

To cast any kind of disparaging judgement on the person asking the question does nothing except generate conflict.

Sure, the question is a simple one, and one to which most of us know the answer very well.   And, the original poster used to know it, too.  So, he forgot it.  Big deal.  This is a hobby.  It's meant to be fun and educational.

As for me, I like the simple questions - I am more likely to be able to answer them; and, I like answering questions that others have about amateur radio, when I can answer them correctly.

To the original poster, I would advise that you just ignore the negative comments.  They aren't about you as much as they are about the people posting them (in the sense that the comments reveal much about the people making them).  And, I don't mean to sound like I'm being judgmental of those who have made negative comments, either.  Just like I don't know why an amateur radio operator might not remember the formula for calculating a dipole, and shouldn't judge them for not knowing this, I also shouldn't judge those who made negative or judgemental remarks in response to the original question, instead of answering it - maybe, they're just having a bad day.

Richard
    AI4IJ

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I notice that Jim deleted his post, leaving my somewhat critical answer as the 1st thing that shows in this thread. Why did you do that, Jim, are you ashamed of having asked the question in the first place?

Let me tell you why I answered you the way I did. As I said in my first answer to you, that question is so fundemental that everyone including Novices back when I first became licensed knew how to calculate the length of a simple dipole.

If I had asked my "Elmer" that question, he would have given me the same answer, " Why the heck are you asking me that? The answer can be found in . . . . " and left me to go look it up!

Would I have been a bit unhappy with my "Elmer" for not spoonfeeding me the exact answer? Probably. Would I have berated him to his face, called him all kinds of terrible things, thrown up my hands in discust and dispare and quit the hobby? Of course not ! Back in those days, we knew that knowledge was not something that was spoonfed to us. Knowledge only came through a bit of applied sweat of our brow, and perseverance by digging through the material that was available to us.

SOMETIMES WE EVEN LEARNED SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE THING WE WERE SEEKING THE ANSWER FOR ! ! !

That is what I was hoping would happen in your case. Unfortunately, you chose to turn the wrong way, get all bent out of shape over some of us that "were looking down our noses at you" and took extreme offense over the whole situation.

Perhaps things would have been better if you had looked up "468" in the index of some book somewhere, seen what it pertained to, and came back and thanked us for giving you the clues necessary to figure out the solution for yourself!

No offense taken on my part, and my apologies for causing offense to you, but I do believe you need to grow some thicker skin!

73, Jim

8. W1PRI

Heres a hint as to why i deleted my original post-Not out of embarrassment.  Go look at page 2 or 3 and you will see in one of my replies as to why it is no longer there.  As for the rest, im not responding to. Im done getting into the negativity.  Say what you will.  Im not being overly sensitive, either.  Others here have agreed with me.  The way the answers came out were particularly condescending.  Although, yours wasnt anywhere near as bad as some of the others.

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, at least the feelings are mutual.  [​IMG]

This reminds me of certain hams that say they're going to bed, then take 4 or 5 transmissions and an additional half hour to say "good night" to a group.  [​IMG]   [​IMG]

I'm with Chris. "I forgot", is a poor excuse. $80 for two books would have provided the answer to your question.

And many more questions that will come down the road.

"Reading is Fundamental"

10. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

AG3Y brings up a valid point, too - as I do sometimes try not to spoon feed either and in some cases it IS wise to try to get a person thinking on his own. Please, I am in no way picking on AG3Y as I uses him in this example (hope you don't mind O.M.) but to assume without knowing the person isn't right. I see where most of you were going & at times am tempted to go that route as well but being on both side of the fence I still think it could have been handled in a better manner.

And I too am not trying to be judgmental of anyone. Just trying to have you see it from the other side is all.

If I offended anyone, I hereby formally apologize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.