ad: ProAudio-1

want to make a 6m dipole, need measurements

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AG3Y, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1PRI

W1PRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree with you and can not be a part of this any longer. I am actually ashamed about this thread and what Ive written in it for onlookers to see. Im trying to just leave it be but it gets tough to see some of this BS and not defend myself. And its taking away good radio time. Thats where this hobby belongs, on the air. And thats where I'll be found. While I'm sure I'll be reading some of the other posts, I will not be adding any more comments as it makes me seem as rude as some of the other posters here and thats just not me. 73, Jim

2. WA5VQM

WA5VQM Guest

I think the initial negative response was due to the question being asked so often. For the "regulars" here it's a bit exasperating to keep responding to what to some is a simple question. It's almost the Ham equivalent of your kids constantly asking "are we there yet?" where eventually you bite their heads off. In your case it may have just been a case of wrong place / wrong time rather than anything personal.

That said, one of the smartest men I ever worked for, I'm mean this guy was brilliant, would never answer an underling's technical question directly. He would lead you to the answer, point the way, make sure you didn't run off a cliff, but let you find it yourself. He knew that way you'd have a better shot at remembering it. Some of that may have been at work to the responses here as well.

Good luck with your beacon.

73, Mark - WA5VQM

3. K7DMB

K7DMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Lighten up, everyone asks basic questions at first, I did, and I got embarassed just as you did, I bet you will never forget the formula for a dipole. Its part of learning, you ask a question you should know the answer to you get called on it. Its called "Elmering"

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad you won't be back to read any of this, because you're seriously a loser.

I didn't say to request permission before placing a beacon on the air -- those are your words, not mine.

I said you might want to check with the 6m community before placing still another 6m beacon on the air, especially on 50.070 (a frequency you posted, not me), because there are a lot on the air now, and .070 seems like a crowded frequency.

I did not try to discourage your efforts in any way, and I appreciate anybody who goes out of their way to serve the amateur radio community, including beacon operators.

I do use 6m beacons as propagation checkpoints, almost every day. They are useful. But some frequencies are so crowded, I hear 3-4-5 beacons almost zero beat with each other, and that's not so great (unless it means the band is wildly open, in which case I'm happy).

WB2WIK/6

5. W1PRI

Wow, weve resorted to name calling now. Couldnt you have just said all of this without the first sentence? This is exactly my point. If you feel I said something untrue, or I misrepresented what you said, I would have been courteous and apologized. I guess thats the difference between myself and some of the others here. Believe me, no one wanted to start slinging out names more than me but I had the self restraint and courtesy to contain myself. Apparently, you do not.  Again, my point proven.  Ok, seriously, this time, Im going away.  For good.  Hi.

6. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

You're absolutely correct DMB and I agree with your point.

Take note though, you said "at first."

N1KOQ was first licensed on 26 Nov 1991. At first doesn't apply here.

Yes Bill, I'm a geezer. At least my views on ham radio seem to be those of a geezer. I find the older hams are those with whom I most often agree, and the younger hams are on the side of most issues with which I disagree. But I just try to get along. Try. Best I can do.

I will not however sit around while ham radio continues to deteriorate and make believe it isn't happening.

And KOQ, thanks for the spelling lesson. Your ignorance has been reinforced.

7. W1PRI

And this is just the attitude which is causing fewer and fewer people to enter the hobby, or even worse, bail out on it once licensed. I could only imagine what I would do coming across the likes of you on one of my first qsos.  In 10, 20 years when youre 54 and 64, the older people you embrace so dearly now will unfortunately be gone.  All you will have is the younger operators.  What will you do then? Cast insults every time you are asked a question you think is stupid?  Thatll be a quick way to get people to dislike you. With how youve treated me, I wouldnt be suprised if there are a few out there that already do.  Like I said, its a shame.  No problem on the spelling lesson.  If using proper grammar makes me ignorant, I guess Im ignorant.

8. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

468/f is the kind of Elmering that comes before entry level licensing. I can understand why refreshers might be needed for any license class in regard to more exotic and complex antenna designs, finer points of matching, or component selection. The dipole formula remains the first pillar of our lore in this age of machine insertion and surface mount technology, because homebrewing antennas is more and more becoming our sole remaining cottage craft. All hams are justifiably expected to know it intuitively.

That is why the initial responses gave hints, or suggested sources, hoping to jar the memory of a ham, possessed with momentary brain lock. It's also why jaws drop and BP goes up every time the question gets posted.

9. W1PRI

And believe me, it did.  Like I said, I'll never forget it again.  The way it was presented, however was in extremely poor taste with the intention to belittle and embarrass.  That is what these people should be ashamed of. Not that they tried to jar my memory, but that they tried to make me look like an idiot in the process.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Perhaps I am being nitpicky here, but the precise
    formula is (492 * k)/F, where k is a factor usually
    looked up in a table, as it varies by the ratio of
    the diameter of the conducter in relation to the
    wavelength. For a typical HF dipole, k = .95, so
    492 x .95 = 468

See: http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup2.html

That being said, maybe this forum should
    renamed to "Questions and Abuse?"

Thread Status: