want to make a 6m dipole, need measurements

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AG3Y, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

<<<soapbox mode on>>>

To the original poster:
    I see your point & have to agree. When asking questions you expect an answer to that question, not some stinkin' BS.

To those that actually answered his question:
    BRAVO - that is THEE MARK of a REAL HAM - one who is willing to help no matter what the situation.

As for the rest of you - I hope you never have such a time as this when you just want the answer without the hassle. Would it have been that hard to just answer the question?

BTW: this very same thing happened on here once before...

<<<soapbox mode off>>>

2. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

If you tell someone where to find the answers, you're answering the question. It IS basic theory one is supposed to already know from the study for the license, you know.

I still keep my tech and general study guids on hand to look up formulas if I need to do something. I just bought a basic theory book for that purpose, also. We're supposed to be doing "self training" according to Part 97.

You know the old saying about giving a man a fish versus teaching him how to fish? Same thing.

3. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'm the first to usually defend people. But I mean, c'mon - YOURE A GENERAL!!!!!

That is the first thing I learned!

If your question was a bit more technical in nature, I don't think you would've gotten the unsatisfactory results you received.

A lot of guys, did help - I admire the spirit - but man.........

And... on the whole giving up on the idea of the beacon..... If you want to - so be it. I would have actually tested my setup at times and tried to hit your beacon and let a lot of other ops in the area know that it's there. You would have gotten the respect of someone that wanted to contribute to the hobby - but if you get criticism from a few ops and then you want to throw your hands up in the air - then so be it - give up.

tsk, tsk, tsk.

Jonathan

4. W1PRI

W1PRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnathan, That is the very first thing everyone learns, Including me. Fortunately for you and a couple of other cynics here, you learned it within the last year or two. Ive been a ham for 14. So, Ive never made an antenna. So what? Does that make me any worse of a ham than these guys here? After looking at what they have to say, and how theyve presented themselves here, I definitely do not think so. Whether on the internet or the air, youre still representing your hobby. As far as the beacon, it will still go up. Im not going to let the arrogance of a few here stop me in my tracks.

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I've kept mum until now.

I am an old geezer now, I'm 44. I've been a ham 31 years and haven't had a half wave dipole in 25. But I remember that formula. I remember ohm's law too (and yes Tom, Thevenin's theorem too!) I'm not buying "I forgot, it's been 14 years" as an excuse.

There are some things that we, having passed exams, are reasonably expected to know. Too many do not. Maybe never did, I don't know. This is what we old guys refer to as the dumbing down of ham radio. Building a dipole is one of those very basic things that every ham should know how to do and should know the l=468/f formula too.

This lack of knowledge is why shysters are able to sell dipoles for $50. If you want to spend that kind of money on something you can make for $5, that's your business. But to HAVE to spend it because you don't know? That's a disgrace. These are the things that make some of us question the integrity of the VE system, and wonder why question pools are published to be memorised.

Sorry KOQ, but you may not be happy with your treatment here, I'm sorry there are hams with such a lack of basic knowledge. You're not alone, but I'm not sure how exactly you are a contributor to the radio art.

6. W1PRI

Ok, so now I am a non contributor to the hobby?  The arrogance here is just overwhelming. You have no clue about me or what I do with this hobby whatsoever and to make an implication like that just makes you sound ignorant.   So, you remembered a formula from your younger days that I did not, big deal.  Whether you "buy it" or not doesnt matter to me. Believe me, It doesnt weigh too heavily coming from a guy who cant spell memoriZed.  Thats alot more basic than any ham formula. 3rd or 4th grade I think. To pick on the shortcomings of others is not in my nature, I just figured Id show what it feels like to be mocked for lack of knowing something that others consider trivial so if you take offense, I apologize.

So, does this mean I'm an idiot for not knowing a formula?  According to you I am.  And to your point, why would one buy a dipole for $50, when they could build one for 5?  Well, thats just the information I was trying to obtain here earlier.  If theres a silver lining, I think its that I'll never forget that formula again, much like im sure you will now spell the word memorized correctly.   Maybe I should just go buy a loop.  God forbid I ask for dimensions on that.  I might get another lashing.  I think I'm all set with you people.  Thanks again to all who actually helped out without passing judgement on this "idiot non-contributor"   Jim

7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KOQ: Ever been to Great Britian (aka England)?

Memorised is much correct. Memorized is incorrect.

I am sure that Rich, 2HG is happy that you posted his PM to you. You know what, I have to agree with those that said .... get a book. In the 40+ years that I have been licensed, I have quite a few ARRL Handbooks, Antenna Books, RSGB Handbooks and other reference books. Strange thing is, I started collecting some of this stuff before I was even licensed. If you want to learn, nothing is stopping you from getting a nice collection of amateur radio books of all kinds.

If Chris, 2ZDY is an olde geezer at 44 ...! But we share a lot of the same thoughts (and do a great many more) that there are many things one should know as a general. One being the formula for antennas ... Ohm's law, Thevinin's Theorom (have not used that in a while) also come to mind.

At least get a book and do some reading. As someone has in their signature ... or similar ... learning never ceases.

Bill, W0LPQ

8. W1PRI

By English, do you mean Elizabethan??  or some other ancient form or variation?  I didnt think I'd need to point out the obvious but we dont live in the UK.  I may need a book in amateur theory, however its obvious you both need to be reading a book  more basic than any theory book. It's called a dictionary.  See below.  

As far as posting a pm, if there is nothing wrong with what he is saying and how he presented himself, why wasnt it just added in the thread?  I would think he said it privately because he knew it was in poor taste and didnt want it to be seen.  Again, just another example of the arrogance, and to some extent, spite I have recieved here from other amateur operators.  

mem·o·rize [ mémmə rz ] (past and past participle mem·o·rized, present participle mem·o·riz·ing, 3rd person present singular mem·o·riz·es)

transitive verb  

Definitions:

learn and remember something: to commit something to memory

And now to your posting.....

No results found for  "memorise"  

We didn't find a match on "memorise," but we found the following alternate spellings for you. Click one to continue your search.

memories
    memorize
    memorized
    memorizes
    memorizer

There is no S in memorize (or any variation of the word, except for memoriZeS) according to any modern day dictionary you look in.  This is just getting too ugly for me, some of it by my own hand which I'm not happy about.  Its obvious to me that most here thrive on it and I can not be a part of it anymore. At least if most of you are here participating in this nonsense, I wont have to worry about hearing you on the bands.  Its a shame.  Good bye.

9. mcjim555

mcjim555 Banned

HOLY CRAP FOLKS, can't we all just get along ? It looks like all points have been made by the original poster and the rest of the posters on this thread. Life doesn't stand still and is to short to be like this, it's time to move on. Good Luck and 73 Jim   [​IMG]

10. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Matter of fact, several G0's on 17M now..!

Bill, W0LPQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.