want to make a 6m dipole, need measurements

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AG3Y, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the first things I did after I got my first license, heck, even before, was to stuff a bookshelf full of books about radio and electronic topics--including some a little too meaty for me at the time. I can't imagine a station without at least some printed matter that contains a formula so fundamental to who we are, what we know, and what we do! No wonder QST now reads like Dr. Seuss!

2. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

The formula can be found in the "Now Your Talking" book among many others.
    I guess it is easier to fire up the pooter and ask here than it is to look it up in a book or do a search on the internet.

3. AE1X

AE1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, here's the formula:

dipole length (ft) 468/Frequency (Mhz.) so for your case:

Length (ft) = 468/50.07 = 9.35 ft.

Ken

4. W5LJM

W5LJM Ham Member QRZ Page

And
    9.35 ft x 12"= 112.2 inches
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. W1PRI

W1PRI Ham Member QRZ Page

For all of those who answered me sincerely, Thank you.  For those of you who called me a troll, "shook" their head at me and made other negative remarks, all i can say is Im extremely disappointed.  Am I lacking in some knowledge? absolutely.  The last time I was studying dipole lengths and antenna construction was the early 90's, when I was 16.  As you can probably imagine, Between the age of 16 and 32, alot of things go on and Im no exception.  Amatuer radio although loved, is just a hobby to me so it has gone on the back burner and admittedly, alot of the stuff I studied has been forgotten.  I asked a simple question and some of you used this forum to make me look like an idiot which im not ashamed to admit, is sometimes the case.  Bravo to you for succeeding. I wanted to put up a 6 meter beacon to get myself more involved and perhaps make operation on this band a little more fun for those who actively monitor the cw portion of the band for propogation info.  After this, I can honestly say, with the attitudes ive seen, I probably wont even bother.    

However, to my point I do personally believe this is exactly the reason our hobby is going in the direction it is.  Numbers dwindling, the average operator age going up at a sharp rate.   I was asked in a personal message where my study books went to and if I could just look in one of those.  Of course, I, like most of you, gave my study books to someone who was looking to become an operator, in the spirit of the hobby (which up until tonight i thought was helping others).  Perhaps I should have just gave him a hint as to where he could find the local radio shack or better yet, tell him he should ask others' permission before he took the ham test.  

I tried to delete this post because I believe some of the  posts, including my own where I became defensive doesnt represent the hobby in a positive way.   It doesnt look like it worked as i only deleted the original question.  so, this will be the last time I post here.  So, if anyone would like to continue the personal attacks, feel free to do so.  I will not be returning to read it. Again, a sincere thanks to those who offered positive information without putting a cynical spin on it.  

Jim

6. G7HEU

G7HEU Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim

Don't sulk! If amateur radio is not for you then so be it. If however you decide that you have enough interest to continue with the hobby you will find an enourmous number of clever guys here and ready to help you, ( I certainly have).

Your call fella, checking out or staying the course?

Best wishes from England,

Steve.

p.s. I really MUST go to bed now at 03:00 local.

7. W1PRI

Arent you the one who called me a troll?  How is that helpful or positive?  I am very active in the hobby.  If youve read my bio under my callsign, you will see that.  Make no mistake, im not sulking.  I think if any of you looked at this thread with an objective point of view, you would wonder why anyone would bother with this hobby. To me its very sad actually.  Not because Im butt of the big joke but because of the negativity that is present here, myself included (although my post was defensive in nature).  Thats all I really have to say.  I know most ham operators are curteous and helpful people but what Ive seen here leaves me very disappointed and thats one reason I think the numbers are going down and the average age is going up. Am I going to bail on the hobby. Absolutely not. Eskip on 6 alone is enough to keep me around. Will I ever ask another question in this forum again? Probably the next time you see a pig with wings.  One last thing to think about: When was the last time you worked someone under the age of 30 or 35 even that wasnt part of a boy scout jamboree or the child of another ham??  Thats it from me.   73.

8. KF0RT

KF0RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry about it, Jim. As many have observed on QRZ, this is the Internet and NOT ham radio. You just happened upon the "hot button" question.

Hope to work you on 6 this season.

73, Rob

9. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to bring age into this we can.
    It is questions like this that give people our age the bad rap. I found if you try and help yourself the more the OF will help you. You should have tried to look it up on the web or book first. If you spend any time on QRZ you would know that questions like this will stir up all kinds of crap. As far as working people 30 to 35 years of age goes. Everyday. I are one and so is my wife. So before you post a question, try and answer it yourself then ask for advice. Keep in mind the dipole question pops up about once a month. This is why people think you are trolling. This is the internet and behavior is differant than it is on the air so don't let it get you down. Good luck with you beacon. I sure hope I can hear it some day.

73, Sean

Let the spelling, and grammar cops at it. [​IMG]

10. W1PRI

Sean, I completely agree with you on this.  Being in my age bracket, you of all people know that outside of your wife, the number of people you work in our age bracket is relatively small compared to some of the older ops.  The average age of the guys on my local repeater is somewhere up into the 50's, with me in the basement at 32.  Could I have looked it up?  Sure. I just thought that if i needed info on something ham related, id go to the horses mouth.  Im actually floored at the answers I got.  Let me share with you a pm i got shortly after my attempt to defend myself earlier.

Hello Jim,

Well let's see, you're agrivated because no one will GIVE you the answer to something you should have learned first as a Tech, then AGAIN as a General.  Why are you getting mad at people when it should be you getting mad at yourself for not truly studying the material to pass the tests?  I know people in their 70's that can still remember these simple formulas.  

So now you'll be mad at me for not giving you the information you want.  If you still have your study guides, why don't you go through them and find the answer to your question?  If you don't have the books, then why not do a search on the all important Internet to get your answer?  I noticed your bio, a store bought antenna???  Good grief, why spend the money on an antenna that anyone can build?  The hints given in this post all add up to the answer you are looking for, but of course you can't see it because you only memorized the answers to the questions to pass the tests.  Good luck in your quest for the answer.  I'm sure someone will give you what you want, however it won't be me.  

Rich,KG2HG

Take a second and think about how you would feel if you asked a ? that everyone knew the answer to and then you get this in your pm box. At least this guy insulted me in private.  Seriously though, ive spent enough time trying to make my point in a thread that is now better suited for the "general discussion" threads than the "questions and answers" threads.  good night all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.