want to make a 6m dipole, need measurements

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AG3Y, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Come on, Jim, that is a very basic aspect of amateur radio theory! Get out your ARRL handbook, or Antenna handbook, look up the formula and do the math ! I'll give you a hint , it has something to do with the number 468 !

73, Jim

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And the formula also involves the desired frequency of operation. Another "hint": The answer is in feet.

I assume that you are planning on operating CW since 50.070 MHz is in the CW only portion of the 6 meter band.

Glen, K9STH

3. AE1X

AE1X Ham Member QRZ Page

That should have been a question in the standard question pool.

For additional information concerning antenna dimensions and other antenna ideas, get yourself an antenna handbook. There are a couple of them out there that are very good. I would further suggest that you find a local group of amateurs. You could then get local help and meet some folks to talk with about this type of issue.

Should have any additional need for help and you can not find someone local to help, you can contact me at the address on my web-page:

www.geocities.com/ae1x

Good Luck...

Ken

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume you've already checked this list to assure that a six meter beacon in your area might serve somebody?

http://6mt.com/beacon.htm

There's a lot of beacons on 50.070 right now; before adding another one, I'd check with the 6m community to see what they say....

5. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you really want to operate a beacon before putting one on the air.  I ran a 10 meter beacon for a year or so back in 2000. It was fun for a while, but then grows old pretty quick.

You might want to consider a beacon on 13,555 Mhz. This is a rather small piece on space that the FCC allows unlicenced beacons on. Maximun power out is kinda limited, about 1.6 Mw into a dipole at any height. I believe it also works out to 3 Mw into a vertical........Or something like that, check out the rules.

Tom kcØw

6. WJ5O

WJ5O Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jim,
    With this "downside" of cycle 23 getting pretty close to the bottom..... How about considering a ten meter beacon?... There is only one 10 meter beacon in the whole State of Rhode Island now..... Plus the equipment is more economical obtain...... My beacon rig only cost $2.00 at a garage sale and operated 11 years before it "smoked"... I'm on the second converted CB rig for the past 2 plus years... it was $5.00....... Now, I'm wondering.... maybe You don't have ten meter privileges?

7. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another hint.  Save time.  Divide the numerator of 1/2*wl formula by 2 to derive 1/4*wl for the length of each leg, or 1 vertical element + 1 counterpoise.  Just cut odd X*1/4wl for multi leg counterpoise to make a ground plane.  It's just a beacon, after all.  Save your horizontal antenna for QSOs.

8. W1PRI

W1PRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, So basically, let me get this straight, Heres what I got from you guys in a nutshell:

1. a3gy-- "Its a shame you dont already know that but I  do, so go get a book."  

2.  k9sth--"Its a shame you dont know that but I do, heres another hint"

3. ae1x--isnt it in the general question pool?  Its been 10+ years since I took my tech test.  thanks for your offer of help, but I asked for help here, and it hasnt been offered.

4.  wb2wik (my personal favorite)--"make sure you get permission before you do anything from other amateur radio operators"--Do you ask permission to transmit on your local vhf/uhf repeater?   .070 was just a place to start. There is no other working 6m beacon in RI.  

5.  Kc0w--again, no offense but there is nothing pertinent in this message.  Why would I want to put up a beacon outside of the ham bands???  I understand you ran a beacon on 10. This 6m beacon will be made with a cheap radio and what I thought would be a cheap easy antenna but with 7 replies here, I still havent gotten the infomation I asked for.  

6.  wj5o- youre obviously a 10 meter enthusiast.  I like 10 too, but 6 is where i want to put up my beacon. There arent any in RI.  

7,  N8cpa--suprise suprise, another hint.  Why would I want to put up a vertical where 95% of the recievers will have horizontally polarized antennas?

I mean c'mon guys, what the heck is this?  I ask a simple question, and I get 7 replies from people who obviously know the answer to my question but I get little help and slightly chided to boot.  Why waste your time or mine? Can you at least see why I might be somewhat disappointed? I admit, I do have to brush up on some of my theory, but I needed a little info and it looks like I wont get it here. I guess I'll go buy a book.

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I must say I am surprised that a propagation beacon would be intended for LOS, where the polarity differential between the TX and RX antennas might have some significance. But that's no less surprising than the original question.

10. G7HEU

G7HEU Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you a troll?

Amateur radio is a technical hobby for those interested in learning. I'm quite happy to admit that my technical abilities put me near the bottom of the group. And then I read a question from a person who wants to know how long a dipole is.

Are you a troll?

Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.