ad: HamInsurance-1

Want to know how I added a mast to a tow hook for Field Day?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KM1NDY, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi:
    I am slowly heading over to the rover side of life!

I plan on using my truck for an mast mount with 6M,2M, and 70cm antennas for this year's field day.
    Probably some of you who may be interested in how I did this, so here it is!
    I would love to hear your ideas for vehicle masts too.

Mindy

https://km1ndy.com/tow-hitch-mast-support-for-ham-radio-beam-antennas/

[​IMG]

VE1FSM, WJ4U, WE4E and 2 others like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good, Mindy! You really "have the fire in your belly" as the saying goes.

Your endeavor reminds me of my early day hamming back in the 1990s when I jumped into contesting, hill-topping and roving grid squares from 50MHz to 1296MHz.

I wish I had photos handy to post of my mobile antenna farm from back then---it was often quite something to witness firsthand.

Nowadays, if I need a mobile mast I have a few options in place on my car's roof rack and trailer hitch rack---but for dead simple and quick (and not expensive) I use a trailer hitch steel flagpole mount I obtained via ebay.
    (around $30-$40 as I recall).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304036636577?hash=item46c9fee7a1:g:608AAOSwZOxgBj36

(and there are many others like it for different size masts/receivers)

They are made for RVs and will hold a big mast well---but I see you have also accomplished your goal already with something very similar.

Good job!

Isn't roving a blast? :)

Jeff

KM1NDY and N3AWS like this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks great. Very creative.

KM1NDY likes this.
  4. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip Jeff! I wasn't entirely sure how well those worked and I thought the pintle plate could be useful for other types of configurations and stabilizations (both radio and non-radio). A ladder rack is probably next for my van. I might pick up one of those mast holders too now.

I do think I will enjoy roving. I think the real thrill will be all of the very suspicious law enforcement officers that seemed to keep circling us when we set this up! I am sure hearing us call "CQ VHF Contest...c'mon isn't there anyone out there?" over and over on their scanners alleviated their fear, haha!

Mindy

AK5B likes this.