Wannabees Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Aug 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't know ask.
    Many of you spend a lot of time searching the net and some of you spend a lot of time turning the dial. At the present, is there any thing like unto a 'Burn Out CW Net'?? Meaning a net where check ins are taken (purely on air, non-internet) at a given start speed. Round 1, 18 wpm (or so) and all report at that speed; Round 2, 21 wpm, all report at that speed; Round 3, 24 wpm, all report at that speed; Round 4, 27 wpm, all report at that speed; Round 5, 30 wpm, all report at speed.
    Seems to me, many have expressed interest in raising their skill, including myself, but who could not care less about contesting by pushing buttons. Bug and cootie groups who would like to grow. No keyboards, but SK, BUG, COOTIE, PADDLE welcome. NO decoders or Computer code. Groups would be for archaic CW operators.
    Thoughts, ideas? Know who I would nominate to do the artwork.
    Hank tsk

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might suggest this on the SKCC group and see if there is any interest.

They already proscribe keyboards, but they also don't want you to use paddles, either. Mechanically sent, whether SK, bug or cootie is OK.

Also, while a lot of their events (like WES) seem to run at a good clip (maybe 20 - 25 wpm), the expectation is that you QRS for slower members so they can participate.

SKCC has lots of activities, but I haven't seen a net.

3. KD0YMG

KD0YMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know whether you'll be able hear them from your QTH, but the Ft. Collins CW Group has a net every Tuesday at 8pm mountain on 7.118. I'm guessing this is their net format, so it isn't quite what the OP asked for. And they do allow paddles. I did meet some of their members, a couple times at hamfests (remember those?). They seem like good people.

I can't say I've tried to listen. I loaded this thread because of the "wannabee" title.:rolleyes: I should get back to code practice... one of these days.

4. K5TSK

Thanks. I'm a member and in the process of learning to use mechanical keys, enough folks have shown mercy on my 'fist' , so that, I've managed a few awards with them. Been a blast for the most part. Those guys have tapped into something special and I would rather not mess with what works. Thanks for the idea.

5. K5TSK

Hope you do. Code work is a special mode. Thanks for the tip. Band conditions on 40m have been freaky at times, but the net may be similar to what I mentioned. I will try to listen in on them. Thanks.

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I forgot about FISTS. They are just about "Morse preservation" and have no restrictions on type of key used.

They have a variety of activities, similar to SKCC, but the only thing I've seen related to speed improvement is that they have alternate "Slow Speed Sprints" and "Unlimited Sprints". While the Slow Speed Sprint speed of 13 wpm is a little slow for building speed, the Unlimited Sprints have no wpm speed limit. They appear to be quarterly, however, which isn't frequent enough to help much with practice.

I see "CW Activity Day" is every Tuesday in the calendar, but there is no description of this in "Activities".

FISTS could definitely use some fresh ideas. Maybe run your idea of a net at them and see if there is interest. I think FISTS is on groups.io, too.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a "bee" not a wannabee, and I'll be delighted to unite with like ditty-boppers

AE8W likes this.
  8. K5TSK

Memory is getting poor, but I think FISTS is probably one of the first general membership clubs I joined upon relicensing. Since then they seem to be offering free membership to Yanks in order to boost or maintain membership. It might simply be that I'm tuning in all the wrong places, or not looking at the right web places, but I seldom ever hear anything on-air.
    My ideas are usually a bit out of the box. Not trying to stir up problems or controversy, just maybe a bit of different perspective. A little alternate thinking seldom hurts. In stead of warping bug pendulums, take time to get your personal speed up. That kind of thing. If my thread causes someone to get a 'spark' of an idea that betters the hobby and they have the knowhow to get it done, then 'Hooray'.

9. K5TSK

This is posted, 'Before Coffee', so I need to tread lightly. If you can do 30 wpm bug consistently and could call a net easily. then you might be the guy to do this. I have heard some higher speed bug, but not a lot. Maybe arthritis and the ease of paddles and keyboards have simply eroded those ops away. I cannot do 30 wpm on a bug, but I should be able to copy. Just trying to fire up an idea. Maybe trying to restore the sound of older days. That's all.

10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure that method would work.``
    1. For some it would start too fast
    2. Fo some they would have to drop out as they may not be able to keep up the speed.
    3. If this net idea is limited just to check ins then the amount of time spent isn't going to give adequate practice.

Unless you are going to increase your own speed by using apps, then the best method is to get on the air and just start listening and then working the guys who are just that little faster than you are comfortable with.