ad: MyersEng-1

Walter M. Wenzel, KA2RGI SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N2ZN, Jan 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2ZN

N2ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sad to report that Walter Wenzel, KA2RGI, formerly of West Babylon, Long Island NY, became a SK on 12/24/19.

Walter was extremely involved in the amateur radio scene on LI from the early 1980's until just a few years ago when he relocated to NC. In addition to holding leadership positions in ARES, RACES, Skywarn, and the ARRL (Walt was the SM for NLI in the late 80's/early 90's), he was a multiple time club president for the Great South Bay ARC, and taught hundreds of students in licensing classes over the decades and helped hundreds get licensed or upgrade through his work as a VE. He also taught classes on antenna theory, repeater building/maintenance, CW, VHF/UHF, and many other subjects over the years. He also ran a small business engraving call sign license badges (W&R Enterprises) and could be seen at most hamfests in the NYC metro area for many years.

We'll miss you, Walt!

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU KEN & LEE,

ARRL-Flag-waving-.jpg
    arrl volunteer examiners badge.jpg
    == A GOD REST HIS SOUL NEW.jpg
    ---==---------- A candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

3. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just learned about the passing of Walter KA2RGI from the Silent Keys page in QST. He was always ready to help anyone in need. He demonstrated antenna resonance at Ham Radio University in a way that I had never seen before, considering that it was accomplished in a normal classroom space. When my car was covered with snow at an HRU he cleared it off for me before I could ask for help. Walt was an active VE, certified by ARRL-VEC and W5YI-VEC. When I gave ham exams sponsored by the GARC and needed a third VE he came to help.

Bob Wex w2ilp

4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HI WALTER ::KA2RGI respect fully vy73 DJOAJ erkem

5. W2LEW

W2LEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I earned my Novice Ticket in Walters class at the West Babylon High School in 1986. I was a Member of the Great South Bay ARC. I spent some time on Walter's Roof helping him with Antennas.
    I learned last year that he was a SK. Rest in Peace Walt.....73............Lew W2LEW/ KB2DUL