ad: CQMM-1

WALTER CRONKITE, KB2GSD SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KF0X, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KF0X

KF0X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FORMER CBS NEWS ANCHOR WALTER CRONKITE DIES AT 92

**Watch FOX News Channel or go to http://foxnews.com for more

==============================
    ===================
    This e-mail is never sent unsolicited. You have received this FOX News Alert because you subscribed to it or someone forwarded it to you.

To unsubscribe from FOX News Alerts, or to add/remove a new e-mail address, log on to:
    http://www.foxnews.com/alerts/unsubscribe.html

Copyright 2009 FOX News Network, LLC. 1211 Avenue of the Americas. New York. NY. All Rights Reserved.
    =================================================

2. AC3IB

AC3IB Ham Member QRZ Page

Once upon a time

Yes, once upon a time, I had a qso with Walt, while he was driving mobil across the US From somewhere east, like New York, maybe, to his home somewhere in the mid west of America. I didn't even know who he was, when I qso'ed with him, only that he said he was Walt, and was driving somewhere in Indiana. This was a long time ago, just after I received my general class license, maybe 1998-99. Days after I qso'ed with him, I looked his call up on qrz.com and found his name Walter Cronkite, KB2GSD. Shocked I was to come to the realization that I qso'ed with a person I watched for so many years on TV news, and he seemed to be just another person on the other end of the microphone to me during the qso. I enjoyed the qso, like so many other qso's on ham radio. Never saw him as anyone but another human being I was having a conversation with, yet he was outstanding in his life as a very profound individual. I only wish I could have told him, if I knew who he was at the time of the qso, how much I admired his news broadcasts I viewed, including the network news reports by Walter of President Kennedy's death. I guess we are all waiting our turn to become a SK. Walt, I will always remember your qso with me. Tnx fer the qso, and rest in peace. Bill, kd4hnc

3. KF0X

He held a Novice class ticket to the end...

You likely had the mobile QSO with him on 6 or 10 meters since you said he was using a microphone in 1998 or 1989. Mr. Cronkite never upgraded from a Novice class license.

He did a LOT for Amateur Radio OFF the air. He did countless PSA's, ARRL promotional videos and the like. He also appeared at many conventions and ham gatherings. It was also suspected he lobbied on behalf of Amateur Radio in back channel phone calls, letters and meetings with the FCC and government officials over the years.

He seldom actually operated, so you should consider yourself very fortunate.

4. AC3IB

ANSWER

Yes it was on ten meters, but I did not know his license class, only that he was going to somewhere in Oklahoma. Bill, KD4HNC

5. AC3IB

Is the 10 10 club still there to prove who you are?

You know what om, kfox, at this point I am not sure if it was 10 meters or not. It possibly could have been 20 meters in fact. But who is to say that someone was in the vehicle with Walt that was the control operator, while Walt was working 20 meters mobile. My logs are long since lost, or destroyed, but I assure you I did have a qso with walt. I don't see that as a privilege, I see it as just another contact with another human being on the other end of the radio path. Somewhere in time I may have a qso with you, and will that be any different than the contact I had with Walt? What should I ask is your license class when we meet on the band? Enough of the conjecture. 73's Bill, www.kd4hnc.com/

6. KF0X

Lucky draw...

I would not consider a QSO with him to be just another QSO. I think that would have been a "highlight" QSO in my log. It would have ranked up there with Barry Goldwater, King Hussein of Jordan, Joe Walsh or other notable hams.

I guess what I was getting at was... of all the millions (worldwide) of hams you could have hooked up with, drawing the Cronkite card was a lucky one.

The man was a legend and earned it with his body of work. I was 180 degrees the other side of his politics, but would have given anything to meet him either on the air or in person!

7. W7AMF

W7AMF Ham Member QRZ Page

he will be missed. prayers with his family.

8. AA4PC

AA4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

We will all miss you Walter!

I never had the priveledge of having a QSO with KB2GSD, but would have given a lot to have logged his call.

I did meet his sucesssor, Mr. Dan Rather. He was and still is nothing more than a second rate reporter. Same goes for Ms. Couric. And Rather was RATHER short, I met him when I was 17 and 6'4" and I had to reach way down to shake hands with him. I later regretted the handshake, but what can you do when you're 17, you're taught to respect your elders.

Now Mr. Cronkite was not only a great man, but one hell of a NEWSMAN!

They're dumbing down the news by attrition.

So sorry to see you go Walter, I hope you'll get some great DX and answers to some of the burning questions you never got to ask...

Gdo bless you and your family!

73!

John Mood
    AA4PC

9. KU5Q

KU5Q QRZ Lifetime Member #625 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You express respect for a great man. You smile at God's great work, and he smiles with you.

Sometimes it is easy enough for all of us to forget who we are responsible to.

But, in the end we will all know.

Thank you for your sentiments from your good heart, and your soul.

All the best.

Terry

10. WB6CSH

WB6CSH Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the many attributes that impressed me about Cronkite was his being years ahead of his time and stating that the ONLY way to stop the "Drug War" was to make drugs legal and eliminate the violence by eliminating the lewd profits... just like we ended alcohol prohibition! He actually supported a group called LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition!

I shouldn't be surprised; Mr. Cronkite was always outspokenly "ahead of his time".

My condolences to his family. A truly great newsman has been lost.

Mike
    wb6csh :(

11. VA3IDJ

VA3IDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Godspeed Walter, SK

Although I had no pleasure to QSO with Walter, I did enjoy watching his ARES related video here on the net while I was involved with the local program in Windsor, Ontario, Canada for 2003 and 2004. I would believe many people were enthused to help their local communities, with Walter's spoken words of support. :) Public service is a magnificent way to give back to your local communities.

KB2 GSD, thank you Walter for your professional efforts on and off the television and amateur air waves. Using the immortal words first spoken in July 1969..."One small step for a man, one giant leap for TV journalism through Walter Cronkite"

73 OM :(
    I have a smiling signed picture of you in my shack, for a great keepsake

VA3 IDJ - London, Ontario, Canada

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.