Walmart selling 10 meter and 6 meter rigs!?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4KJG, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Earlier today I got a popup ad from Walmart for a 200 watt 10 meter transceiver. It was for a GALAXY DX98VHP 200 watt 10 meter radio /am,.ssb.

[​IMG]

I did a little more searching on the Walmart site. I was rather surprised at how many they are advertising for 10 meters and 6 meters. They are obviously meant for the CB crowd. On one that I looked at someone asked if one of these radios could operate on 11 meters. The answer was to remove a jumper next to the frequency display.

Here is a link to just one page of these rigs:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=10 meter 200 watt amateur ham radio

Amazon is selling these same types of radios too.

I haven't done much on 10 meters in recent years. Is anybody hearing non-licensed activity. If we do, is there any recourse?

KJ4LCM likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to be pedantic, but it's not Walmart. It's a seller using the Walmart website, just like Amazon has the Amazon Market.

I wish Walmart would sell ham equipment in stores.;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    NK2U, KI5WW, K9ASE and 4 others like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Look carefully at that page again. Most of those items are NOT being sold by Walmart.

Underneath the pictures of the “rigs” it says that these are being “sold & shipped by webtron-x.com” located in Rochester MN.

All of their “10 meter” radios are well known from truck stops catering to other radio services, legal and otherwise.

Steer clear.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the point W4KJG is making pertains to why is Walmart the alleged epitome of corporate, social, moral and legal compliance responsibility; pimping these non Part 95 compliant radios (directly or indirectly) to the masses through it's website.

KI3U, N3AWS, KI4AX and 1 other person like this.
  5. VA3VF

These types of businesses are not pro-active, but re-active. Send the site owner a note with the links to the statutes or rules, and the item will likely be removed.

In their defense, with the number of items they list, they cannot check everyone of them. I bet the term & conditions to seller has to agree to mentions all the legalities the seller is suppose to follow. The owner of the site is off the hook then, until notified.

WU8Y, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon has similar sorts of things in their "marketplace", and they only handle the order fulfillment. As W3WN says you need to look carefully for the small print "sold by..." On Amazon I only buy if it's being sold by Amazon, unless it's being sold by a well known company or one I'm familiar with.

7. VA3VF

Oh yes. Any item over $10 better say "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca" or the "Add to Cart" button remains untouched.;)

Unless it's something hard to find elsewhere, then I may settle for the "Fullfilled by Amazon.ca".

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know all the details of how it works, but essentially Walmart (and Amazon and others) has an arrangement that they make the space available to the 3rd party, and in return, they get a cut.

They probably have no idea whatsoever that the 3rd party may be pimping them with questionable or outright illegal merchandise.

Does that make it right? Absolutely not. Simply pointing out that Walmart (et al) are probably not aware that they are being pimped, simply due to the sheer number of these that are out there... and how quickly they may be removed and replaced on these dynamic web pages.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't think they have any idea either. I suspect a quick letter from you know who to corporate would clear up any misunderstandings in short order.

N0TZU and KA4DPO like this.
  10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page