wall mounted antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by M7DJC, Jun 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M7DJC

M7DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is anyone aware of a commercially available antenna I could mount on an outside wall.I am looking at other alternatives for an outdoor aerial but at present the best option would be something wall mounted close to the transceiver if one exists

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency?

3. M7DJC

20m and 40 if possible

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Any kind of vertical or wire antenna "could" be mounted to a wall (flat against the wall), but unless the construction materials used in the building are "RF-friendly" (meaning good dielectric materials, preferably with a very low dielectric constant and no conductors used), results can be quite disappointing.

"Dry wood" (wooden siding over wooden supporting studs) isn't bad. Any kind of cement or concrete, and of course anything "metal," is very bad.

Materials like ABS, PVC, fibreglas, PTFE (teflon), etc. are pretty RF transparent but homes normally aren't built from those. Wood, or vinyl siding over wood, is pretty RF-friendly but also flammable -- so when transmitting, one must be careful to insulate the antenna from the siding well enough that it won't cause the siding to ignite.:p

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

First, a hearty endorsement of what WB2WIK just said. More than once, I have been called upon to troubleshoot an inside antenna system- just to find that the metal structures of the home included steel uprights, pipes, or aluminum window frames. In all of these cases, the S.W.R. was terrible on 2 meters. Since most 'beams' for 20M and 40M would be too large for a typical room, we need to 'skip' ( pun intended ) the yagi styles ( unless your room is approximately 20 meters on a side horizontally ). If budget is not a big concern, there are a number of folks who build loop antennas ( MFJ and others ). The disadvantage is that tuning typically is very, very narrow. That means that you might be able to tune a frequency on 20M and chat, but that if the other operator suggests moving to another frequency ( even in the 20M band )- it could take a while in tuning to get 'optimized' enough to complete the conversation. One elderly amateur radio operator suggested a "bowtie" antenna- yet I am not aware of a commercial manufacturer for these outside of the UHF band. There is also the issue of proximity- it is recommended that you use very low power output if you must be transmitting near your antenna.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Lot of brackets were made to mount a 1.125 inch mast for a TV antenna on a vertical wall. maybe some in my garage , available from places where you can still get a real LPDA TV antenna.

7. M7DJC

Thanks for all the help on this.There is no metal in the construction of the house at all.The walls are made of brick and all nearby external downpipes etc are now plastic.Now my only task would be to find a suitable antenna to put on the wall!I could certainly have antenna mounted on an exterior wall 10ft or more from the transceiver

8. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you could get the actual antenna above the peak of the roof, why not wall mount a cobweb antenna? They generally weigh under 25 lbs, so its not going to take a lot of structure to hold it up. Normal TV antenna mounting hardware should work. Some models have 40 meters, but most are 7 band antennas (6-20 meters). No tuner required, no rotor required, they are almost omni directional.

AK5B likes this.
  9. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not aware of a commercial product specific to wall mounting. You could hang a 20/40m Small Transmitting Loop made out of copper pipe on the wall an call it yard art...

I have a HOA/wife bound friend that is in a similar situation.

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there some reason you need to do this?

I'd try to get the antenna much farther away from the radio equipment -- a lot farther than ten feet.

Bricks are pretty lossy, as they're fired clay and have dielectric properties similar to "earth."

But if there's some reason you have to hide the antenna so no one can see it, try anything!