ad: cq2k-1

Waiting.........

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K0MBT, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering the same thing and found the post on ARRL about the shutdown. Is it a fairly automated process once the data file is uploaded? If not, I suppose it also will depend on the number of licenses to be granted.

I’ve heard it normally takes about 10 days and we’re only 4 more days until the “closure.”

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, Welcome aboard!

I'm sure you will have your callsign by next week. I know the wait is agonizing. But consider that back in days of snail mail and typewriters is took slightly over three (3) months for me to get my Novice ticket! :)

73, Bill

3. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

I know enough about this to be dangerous :)
    zen please post if you get your number, we both may be waiting like 73 bill. 3 months those were the days.
    I figure that I should do my first contacts on vhf in order to reduce the propagation of my mistakes.

Someone mentioned HT when I mentioned my baofeng. I have tried hearing anything but only found the automated weather. There are 2 repeaters but both apparently out of range. I am going to make an external antenna Maybe a vertical 1/4 wave. Then if that isn't enough some sort of 2 meter yagi. All homemade.

I want to do something with ditties but that is a subject for later.

4. KD5ZEN

_Dave, Sure thing.

I purchased the Yaesu FT-60R and have so far enjoyed it. I upgraded the rubber duck on it. I can listen to the repeaters in my area just fine. I just ordered a mag mount for my truck just to see what improvements that bring.

There are several weekly nets in the area on the local repeaters that are club run. I'll probably jump on one of those to just introduce myself when I get my license. I am hoping to attend some meetings too.

5. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife is self studying for the Tech test. neither of us are big talkers but think it might be nice for emergency.

I have been looking at this site and wonder if i want to tell every one who looks at this site my name, address. I may not update my membership. I was looking at some of the scams that were going on. This isn't the world that we grew up in. I imagine that 50 years ago you couldn't just search for a person with a ham license unless you had good reason, now it is public knowledge.

It isn't a question of hiding who I am from people I am having a conversation with. It is sharing my personal information with every Tom Dick and Mohammad who is looking at the thread.

Without giving any details I was a victim of identity and personal theft. The thief was caught and I am getting my 50 grand theft back 100 dollars a month. Yeah sure they are a convicted felon now but I am still out the money. It affects my day to day life even over 10 years later. Don't think for a second that it couldn't be you.

6. KD5ZEN

Your mailing address will be public with your license with the FCC. I used a P.O. Box for my mailing address.

Addresses, if you own a home, are not private anyway.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that they have been publishing Callbooks since the 1920s!

8. KD5ZEN

Just an update _Dave... I took my test on the 18th. My test material was submitted by mail to ARRL the morning after. My tester said that the first part of the processing was completed on the 25th, and expected the callsign to show up yesterday or today. As of today, no call-sign. I'm guessing no work is done on the weekends - not sure if it is a computer-batch process or what. So, I expect it to be there Monday.

9. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon Zen,

You've pretty much nailed the processing workflow.

The ARRL-VEC has a goal of getting test results processed and a batch file submitted 1-2 business days after receipt in the ARRL-VEC offices. I'm not exactly sure what your comment about [your] "tester said the first part of the processing was completed on the 25th..." means. It could mean that he/she received notice that the ARRL just received the materials, spot-checked them for completeness, and were put in the pile to be processed. Or it could mean that the batch file was created and was awaiting submission to the FCC.

So since you have not received your call yet, it is safe to assume that the ARRL-VEC has not yet submitted the batch file to the FCC. And you are correct, the FCC does not process amateur radio license batch files over a weekend. Hopefully your call will show up Monday morning. Batch file submissions are usually processed by the FCC every 30 minutes or so, Monday through Friday.

One other thing...have you checked the application area of the ULS in addition to the License area? All the paperwork and batch file processing may have taken place, but your application is in a pending or hold status for some reason. You may want to check to see if you show up in the application area. Just click on the "Applications" button instead of "Licenses" and search by your FRN (preferred) or name.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Regards,
    -Bruce

10. KD5ZEN

That's good information. Didn't know about the Application Search.

Looked that up - no match there either.

No worries, Monday will be here soon enough.

KU4X likes this.