Waiting.........

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K0MBT, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided last Friday that I wanted to become a ham.

My exposure started in the 1960's when I was in the amateur radio club. In the early 70's I was an intercept radio equipment technician, later drifting into work with electromedical equipment. I switched careers out of electronics but still held a peripheral interest.

About 10 years ago I purchased a non working Collins R390A as I used to work on them. It was the top of the line military HF receiver of it's day. Mine still has the radium dials, something like 47 tubes, two IF stages.
    [​IMG]
    Still life got in the way..... and it still sits.

So last Friday as I mentioned I decided to see what it would take to get a license. I found an email to a local club president and he responded quickly to say "We are having a meeting Sunday come and take a test. He said plan on taking both Tech and General tests. I quickly downloaded the ARRL books on both licenses online and studied them, focusing on rules, antennas and transmitters.

I passed both of them and got my General ticket.

Have ordered the VHF and UHF Baofeng UV5R as a starter.
    Am hoping to find out soon.
    Is this the place I should be looking?
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/results.jsp

AF7XT, N0TZU, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations!

Yes, that's the place to look for your new license. Assuming you know your FRN, that's probably the least ambiguous way to look it up. Looking up by name should work, but it could return the license of someone else who shares your name, so at least verify the address.

N6QIC likes this.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats and welcome... don't be discouraged if the HT doesn't float your boat. HF is where the action is for most of us, and it's the lower HF bands at this point in the sunspot cycle, so 40, 80, and even 160 at night (160's been pretty interesting lately).

N6QIC likes this.
  4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Dave,
    Congratulations on passing the exam.

To find your new call sign, select by name from the pull down menu and enter Lastname, Firstname then search.
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

help1.jpg

When your new call sign appears in the FCC ULS it will then take 2-3 days from the grant date for your data to be uploaded to the QRZ database.

Once you se your call sign in the QRZ database then you will need to post to the database forum.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/qrz-com-callsign-database-helpers.22/

Start a new thread and ask them to change your username to your call sign, your password will stay the same.

Welcome to ham radio and QRZ,
    73, Lisa

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on both counts. We NEED more new hams who know what an R390 is!

KP4SX likes this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats! If you were a Navy CT in the early 70s you may find more than just a few old friends here.

Ken

8. K0MBT

Thanks to all.
    Been looking 2x a day, hoping that they just want to publish mine :)

Was a 33D20 in the ASA 71-73
    Hardly ever listened to the radio and never talked on one.

9. K0MBT

I wonder if the federal government shutdown will delay the licensing process.

10. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on passing your exams.

Looks like the FCC should be open for business until at least Friday, the 26th:
    http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-announces-plans-for-partial-government-shutdown

It will depend on how long it takes your VE team to get the exam session results to their VEC and then on the VEC to process the data file to submit to the FCC.

The FCC processes amateur radio exam files Monday thru Friday. A VEC can submit a data exam file on the weekend, but it will sit in the queue until Monday morning.

Regards,
    -Bruce