Waiting stinks

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by VE3XCM, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3XCM

VE3XCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed the Canadian basic with honours on the 8th, and industry Canada still hasn't entered my callsign in the database.

I've got all the local repeaters programmed in my ht, picked up a ts-430 and I'm putting up 20' of mast and slinging a 20m dipole up in to the trees on the weekend, but I can't use any of it yet!

Gotta love government cut backs :(

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Waiting doesn't stink...

Use the time to develop the fine art of listening. Far too many hams spend way too much talking, and not enough listening.

Congratulations on passing your exam and welcome to the family.

Regards,
    -Bruce
    WE4AU

3. VE3XCM

Thank you very much!

I've been listening since I was a little kid on my dads old realistic SW receiver lol

I'm actually more content hearing that distant DC station from some tiny island on the other side of the planet, I know I'll never have the setup needed to answer them unless conditions are perfect, but I'm ok with that.

Just stinks having something and not being able to use it! Lol

4. KE6CT

KE6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!

This will give you time to familiarize yourself with your rig. Not much of a consolation but it could be a blessing in disguise.

73s

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We don't have any pull with Industry Canada, but I hope you get your ticket soon. If you're in one of the four new Ontario sections, I hope you're on the air in time for the Sweepstakes Contest.

6. VE3XCM

Well I'm no longer waiting! Went in this morning.

I'm in ONS if that helps, I don't know what the sections were before.

7. KK4LCY

KK4LCY Ham Member QRZ Page

[video=youtube;uMyCa35_mOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg[/video]

8. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your answer Bruce..

This OP's time would be better spend finding a Elmer and being trained how to operate a transciever and buying a good transceiver and putting up antenna's - not worrying about when he / she can talk...

9. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a real bad attitude..

A simple attitude adjustment is to LISTEN - not talk....

IN my log book - there is a call sign of a 15 year old girl from New Zealand who was camping in a tent, working QRP and was working DX from a Island.

The people from Florida, Georgia, South Carolina was working her with their beam antenna's and 1000's of watts of power and they were one hop closer to her then I was.

I was using my new Kenwood TS 590S and a Solorcon A99 Vertical up about 30' off the ground, at an elevation of 1450' AMSL with 100 watts, and some real crappy RG 8 - Radio Shack coax.

Everyone else was talking over my signal, but I never gave up.

Eventually she heard me over the pile up and guess what - she talked to me longer then she did anyone else the whole weekend.
    I think we talked for about 10 minutes, maybe 15....

The people with the beam antenna's and the amplifiers did not impress her, but the person working barefoot from Punxsutawney Pennsylvania did.

Ever hear of February 2?
    Groundhogs Day?
    She did!

If you look up the word Antipode - you will see that once a signal reaches half way around the world - there is a place in the world that is the exact opposite location on the earth as your location.

The Antipode of Washington D.C. is somewhere off the western coast of Austrailia. Which means that a person aiming their antenna north / south / east or west would have a path of a equal distance away in any direction..

Only 4% of the earth has a Antipode...

Take this time to study and get your General Class License so you can operate on all of the bands and not just the chicken band 10 meters and the 2 meters repeaters...

Save your money for a better transceiver - one that also does 2 meters / 70 CM SSB and a beam antenna.

DX does not have to mean half way around the EARTH!

I just talked to a young man who was traveling to school in Morgantown WV on the repeater in Morgantown WV from my house here with 50 watts.
    I'm sure that young man will have a conversation piece for his friends today - having talked to someone 120 miles away on 2 meters FM!

Two years ago, when I passed my technician class license exam, I did not get my call sign for over 6 weeks.

By that time I had already passed my General Class Exam and was well on my way to passing the Amateur Extra Class Exam.

I think I had my Technician Class License call sign for a grand total of about 6 weeks until my Amateur Extra Call Sign Appeared in the FCC data base.

I was upset because the VE did not process the paperwork correctly and the FCC lost my paperwork and they did not change my call sign when I got my General Class License.

In the grand scheme of things - I paid $14 a couple of weeks ago to buy my present call sign.
    I didn't earn it - and it doesn't mean as much to me as my old call sign.

I had over 8500 look up's in 18 months on QRZ.com
    I have over 1000 calls in my log. - just the ones I saved...

Don't worry about talking - worry about talking the right way.
    Don't use Q codes and don't say 10 - 4 and don't act stupid.
    Use your call sign at least once every 10 minutes and be courteous and talk to old hams and you will learn more then you ever could reading QST Magazine..

Join a amateur radio club and do amateur radio type things..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well....(Wheeze) lemmee tell you how it was back in MY DAYS!..(cough...wheeze)

Back in the 60s, yep, back before all these 'Puters and Sellfones, We took the test and the tester mailed it in to the FCC.

Then we waited. We didn't know what would happen. If it was a Novice test, the tester told us if we passed, but we might has well find something else to do for nearly a HALF A YEAR before we would see anything back from the GUBBERMENT!

The First sign of progress was often some sample QSLs, from the Little Print Shop. They had this IN with the FCC and found out who the new Novices were before they even sent out the license. So the sample cards told us that a FCC envelope might come any day now.

Meanwhile, we were chomping it to bits. We paced the floor and bought radios in great anticipation of the wonderful day when the license came in. Sometimes we just COULDN'T WAIT!

I had scored a Heathkit DX-40 along with a National NC-88 I used for SWLing. One night I said
    "THIS IS LONG ENOUGH!!!" and plugged in the DX-40. I connected it to the long wire going out the window and tuned it up. (Wheeze)....... 'Course, no manual was with the thing and it had all these knobs on it along with a big meter. Seemed like a good idea to twist the knobs for MAXIMUM METER READING!!!!!
    (COUGH COUGH) WE WERE ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!

Suddenly all this smoke came rolling out of the back of the cabinet and the room was filled with the very terrible smell of BURNT TRANSFORMER!!!!! I quickly yanked the plug outta the wall and took it apart. Sure enough, the plate transformer was RED HOT, and all this black yeechy goo was oozing out of the bottom of it.

Well, needless to say, that was the END for that transmitter. I gave it away to one of the fellow hams I had met in the radio club I had joined to get my license; and bought a Heathkit Twoer, a 2M AM rig. Novices could use 2M Voice back then.

Finally, somewhere around midyear, the mailman brought me a letter with the callsign "WN9ZGF" in it. I quickly fired up the Twoer and called CQ. That was the beginning of a long and ardent Ham career. My interest in Electronics would skyrocket from there and bring me to where I am today.

So, it IS hard to wait, but your ticket will come in Quickly! (as compared to 50 years ago!)
    (Wheeze) I gotta go back on my Oxygen bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.