ad: ProAudio-1

Waiting a long time...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by ND3U, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I upgraded to Extra on March 10th. It is March 30th and I still haven't received my new call sign from the FCC. Does anyone know what's going on? It only took a week when I upgraded to General back in 2011. When I took the test on March 10th did I need to fill out a new FCC Form 605? I remember filling out one when I took my General exam because I requested a new call sign. This time around I wasn't provided with one. Could this be the reason why I don't have my upgrade call sign?

Thanks,
    Brandon, KB3VYD

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it does seem like it's taking a long time. Have you contacted the VE or VEC organization where you tested?

I can see your General Class upgrade, your call sign change, and your change of address, but I don't see and indication of the Extra upgrade or new call sign change. To me, that says the VE may not have filed your test results yet, or the forms are missing some information, and they are holding them back.

3. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Called both the FCC and ARRL today. The FCC stated nothing was inputted into the system. ARRL stated they just got the information from the VE's today and I should be getting my new call sign by Wednesday. Wonder that the VE's were doing that took from March 11th to April 1st....

4. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would take ARRLs response with a grain of salt.

It seems they have been having some severe incompetence problems there for some time. What they may have really meant was that it just reached the VEC desk after floating around inside the ARRL Headquarters building for a week or so.

Our VE organization has experienced quite a bit of problems with them recently. We have even considered changing over to W5YI if ARRL doesn't get their act together. We are tired of getting e-mail from those who passed the test 2 weeks prior, with no upgrade posted. We test first and third Saturday of every month, and I personally take the pre-addressed priority mail to the post office immediately after each session.

That makes us look like a bunch of chumps, and we just don't need that crap. On top of that, we have a new VE who passed his test and sent it in 2 months ago, and still has not received his credentials. He called them and they basically told him they will get around to it. We also have to call and rattle their cage just to get the supplies we requested weeks ago.

Sorry, end of rant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.