WA1HLR Converts A Gates BC1T To 160 And 80 At The ARRL

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Mar 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the story of how a 1000 Watt Gates BC1T AM broadcast transmitter was converted from 1340 kc to the 160 and 80 meter amateur bands by Tim Smith WA1HLR at the ARRL Laboratories in Newington, Connecticut...

The Gates BC1T was originally on the air at KPGE in Page, Arizona and was removed from service in 1995. It was rescued from being scrapped by a ham who brought the transmitter along when he moved to Maryland. There it sat on the "to do" list for a while before getting donated to a radio and television museum which decided it needed a better home.

This video picks up at that point. Keep an eye out for the full detailed story in an upcoming issue of QST...

WZ5Q, W4SVA, W2NBC and 3 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best ham radio related videos ever have watched spoken to Tim a number of times over the years on AM was great to see him work his magic on this oldie but goodie speaking of which Fontella Bass great choice.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    WA3VJB likes this.
  3. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great documentary! Tim has been recorded for posterity, doing the work he's known best for. It was an honor and a lot of fun working with him.

I like hearing the Gates transmitter, picked up off-air. What great sound! That's the proof of performance. Great editing, Clark!

WB1GCM

WA3VJB, KD2ACO and K3XR like this.
  4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

This video made me think about doing one for my Bauer......but I'm not totally done yet.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, I don't know whether you got the voice mail I left a few weeks ago while you were in Florida, but two AM groups that meet weekly have become aware of the W1AW Gates, and have invited you to check in and say hello to them at your earliest chance. The Gulf Coast Mullet Society on 3885, and the Florida AM Group, W1GUD Memorial, 3885.

Here's hoping you can find the time to show off your and Tim's efforts.

In fact, I wonder if there's a way to post a heads-up that the Gates will be on the air, ahead of when that happens from time to time.

6. KA4KOE

The Mullet Society meets at 7 PM on Thursdays. The Florida AM Group meets early on Sundays. I don't know the exact time.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That was an awesome video. I watched it last night and felt like I was hanging out with Tim. I hope they video record and upload future visits to ARRL Hq. from Tim. Tim should do instructional videos from Skowhegan. He's a natural.
    I paid extra attention to that tapped driver inductor.

WA3VJB and K3XR like this.
  8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you noticed the raised eyebrow from time to time? It was like the mad scientist trying to lure a visitor into his "lab" for an experiment ...

9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

That was actually a concern raised during the pre-screening sessions by Focus Group 3L, comprised primarily of parents of grade school students. Darn well almost caused those scenes to get cut.

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. KA4KOE

He belched at the receptionist. I noticed that. Unless the receptionist was deaf, he did as well.