ad: k1jek

WA State 446.000 70cm UHF

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KJ7HZW, Feb 6, 2021.

?

How often do you monitor 446.000?

1. Once a week

2. Twice a week

3. Three times a week

4. More than 5 days a week

5. Once in a while but not regularly

6. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7HZW

KJ7HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Short and to the point. I like the 440 band. I like UHF. I like to be different and not use 2m as much. I'm looking for others who like to talk on the air simplex and want to meet up on 446.000 70cm UHF.

I'm not trying to build a club, but a nice bunch of regulars is the goal. Then perhaps when people jump on the band and frequency they will hear someone and activity will start to grown in the Washington state area.

I forgot to mention that in the beginning. This is for my QTH of Washington state. More specifically western Washington, but all of the state is included in this little mission of mines.

For the I-5 corridor counties, I'm hoping to hear from operators in those areas. I'm just a HAM tech looking to have some regular conversation on the radio with rotating drops of HAM tech knowledge dropped in.

No NETs are scheduled for this, but I want to get up to a roll call check in at least.

- In my efforts I've created a bird account at www.Twitter.com/basenwx

- I'm working on a Youtube channel as well. under the user ID 446nwx

- I also set up a PPT wifi account at Zello.com/NwxBaseStation (only to help bridge distance gaps and to figure out how to get out further with an antenna on analog radio)

KJ7OTM, N4RBZ and KK4CUL like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You didn't give me a choice for my answer, which would be, "All the time, if I'm in the ham shack anyway."

I monitor 146.52, 223.50 and 446.00 continuously if I'm in there, even while I'm working HF or whatever else. Sometimes I kill the volume so it doesn't bother me, but when I'm finished with working some weak signal on 40 meters or wherever, I turn the volume back up so it's at least "background chatter."

Here, 146.52 and 223.50 are pretty much continuously active; 446.00 not quite as much, but there's substantial activity. I'm in a big city with a lot of hams, so of course that helps.:p

KJ7HZW likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you are new, you probably don't know that "ham" isn't written in all caps. It's not an acronym, it's just a word.

Have fun on UHF! I monitor 446.00 occasionally, but I'm just to rural to ever hear too much there.

KJ7HZW likes this.
  4. KJ7HZW

KJ7HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be on 146.52 a little bit today.

KJ7OTM likes this.
  5. W7LJT

W7LJT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in south central WA about half way between Yakima and TriCities. I also monitor 446.000 and occasionally hear QSOs. I join in if time permits. I keep my yagi pointed south because most of what I hear is in that direction. Running a Motorola MCS-2000 at 100 watts. It speaks with authority. One day I was testing antennas and keyed up on 446 and got a response from about 50 miles south. It was a mobile station traveling along I-84. Signal path was good except when he dropped into a dip. I also monitor 146.52. Actually more traffic on that channel simplex than on the local two meter repeaters. What I need is a dual band vertical to have a better chance of hearing stations in other directions. Once I get my mobile installed (nicer weather) I'll monitor simplex on that also.

6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard somebody on that frequency once or twice. I think it varies by location, seemed to be more active in Phoenix than Dallas. I don't remember hearing anyone in Albuquerque. I should monitor it more often than I do.