W9WBL VSL Key

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1UXA, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:48 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1UXA

N1UXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a W9WBL single lever paddle. I think it is a model VSL. There is one label on the side and no serial number underneath. The magnetic strip is there along with the hex key. My question is, why is the wooden paddle on the bottom? All pictures I have seen show the paddle attached to the top. You can see from the pictures that my key has all four of the little white slugs where the threads are, (to attached the paddle). Was my key manufactured this way? If so its the only one I have seen like this. I know that the paddle could be moved around to different places but wouldn't that be after it was received by the purchaser? Curious.
    I am also trying to establish the value. Any info would be appreciated. It most likely will be listed here for sale.
    Regards and 73, Tom - N1UXA DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG

2. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

This just may be one of its many configuration options. How does it work and feel ? It looks cool !

Looking at this video it appears you can use this key in many different configurations. Looks like you could attach the finger piece underneath the key body in the way yours is configured.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:54 PM
  3. N1UXA

Thanks Joe! I can now see how the key can be configured in different orientations. I will try it out on a electronic keyer and post the results here.
    BTW, I cleaned up the clear acrylic plastic base. I was surprised how dirty it looks in the pictures!

4. N1UXA

Just tried the key on a MFJ Econo Keyer II and it works great! Its adjusted really tight. Very little travel between the paddles. It feels great but is a little tight for a 12WPM guy like myself.
    Its probably perfect for somebody whos up around 20 or more WPM. That's just my opinion! I am definitely not a CW expert by any means.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

Stan Heils, W9WBL (sk, 2009) designed some interesting paddles.
    I still remember meeting him (when he was WB9WBL) with WB9GGO (sk, 1979) at 1977 Starved Rock / Princeton hamfest when he first started designing and selling his paddles (before V2L).
    7AF302CC-B927-4CEA-87C0-635C69AAF4F5.jpeg

Note the label that says "WBL Design." This label is not seen on the V2L and V22 models.
    Stan used RCA-type jacks, on the inside of the paddle, for connecting cables.
    He also used sleeve bearings, instead of ball-bearings.
    ==
    Wilko Hollemans, PA3BWK maintains a list of WBL owners
    http://www.morsecode.nl/wbl morse key v22.html
    ==
    W9WBL single-lever paddle had three (3) options for orienting the paddle. Three small nylon setscrews can be seen in the middle of the arm - these fill threaded holes that can be used to change the fingerpiece height.

Here is a scan of his V2L mailer / flyer, in later years.
    http://www.qsl.net/n3cw/paddles/docs/WBL_Info.pdf

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:25 AM