ad: M2Ant-1

W7P "Phoenix from the Ashes" Special Event October 23-25, 2021

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W7UUU, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

ONE WEEK to the W7P "Phoenix from the Ashes" event.... check out W7P on the QRZ Database!

Special Event on the QRZ Database: https://www.qrz.com/db/w7p

Full "back story" here with tons of photos: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/entire-shack-shop-man-cave-lost-to-fire-tonight.731273/

Event starts Saturday October 23 at 00:00 UTC through 23:59 UTC Sunday

I'll rotate CW to SSB to FT8, working in as many bands and contacts as "real life" allows

REAL signal reports - if I'm 339 tell me I'm 339 :) Will try to keep CW/SSB contacts short and "to the point" to work in as many as chime in. FT8? Well, it takes the time that FT8 takes LOL!

Not a "24/7 event" so be watching at: http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/

....where I will be "self-spotting" as I move around.

Each session will run approximately 1 hour CW, 1 hour SSB, and 1 hour FT8, followed by a break (obviously, this isn't rigid but I'll do my best).

So if you see me spotted on CW but want to work W7P on FT8, come back in a couple hours :)

Hoping to get LOTS of folks in the log!! See below for the QSL image - no cost or any BS - just an SASE is all I ask. MAKE SURE YOU SEND A #10 ENVELOPE FOR RETURN!!! NOT TINY ENVELOPES!!!

Just a fun thing and a way to make happy the one year anniversary of a pretty sad event for me.

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

QSL Card with SASE:

qsl.JPG

w7p (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    N3RYB, W9JEF, KD2UHD and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

This coincides with a regional SOTA roundtable/conference that culminates in a number of Appalachian Mtn SOTA activations (mostly in the Shenandoah Valley of VA).

If you're ok with it, I'll share the details of this with the Roundtable attendees and see if we can reach you from a summit. :)

Chris

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Fine by me - W7P is just a fun weekend thing - nothing fancy and official - just a way to really "stretch her legs" shack-wise :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KI4POT likes this.
  4. IBNZOP

IBNZOP QRZ Member

This coincides with a regional SOTA roundtable/conference that culminates in a number of Appalachian Mtn SOTA activations

5. IBNZOP

IBNZOP QRZ Member

mostly in the Shenandoah Valley of VA

6. W7UUU

Just finished an hour on 20 CW and an hour on 40m SSB.... CW went great but 40m conditions aren't on my side tonight for some reason... I was being heard great but most of the stations on my end were really light.

Taking a short break then on to 40m FT8 shortly....

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think this was you on FT8, Dave (I didn't bother to set the clock):

DSC02413.JPG
    I forgot to give you a signal report on 7222 (LSB). As on 20 CW, ou were a solid S-9 on the vertical (inverted L), and +10dB on the full wave inverted vee. But alas, I think you said I was stronger on the vee, but I'm not sure.

Owing to my extreme hearing loss (diplacusis), I need to ask people to speak very slowly (like VOA Special English); the reason I stick mostly to CW.

EDIT: I was barefoot on 20 CW, but ran the Bandit at 500 watts on 40 LSB.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

8. W7UUU

Glad to get you in the log on TWO bands Jim! CW on 20 and SSB on 40. You really had a good signal both times. The Vee on 20 worked great - and was far-and-away better on 40

But I have to take a break - I sprained my wrist BADLY this week and it's super painful.

But 74 QSOs in the W7P log ain't bad!

Not sure how much of the 160CW event I can do -- my right hand is about to fall off so gotta quit typing too :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W9JEF likes this.
  9. W9JEF

Sorry to hear about your sprained wrist, Dave. That can put a crimp on your CW ops. But the good news is that the Phoenix has risen from the ashes. :cool:

If we were CB-ers, you could be “Smokey” and I, the “Bandit” (the name I gave to my 500 watt amp). ;)

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W9JEF

Delete dupe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  11. N2ATP

N2ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

welcome back on the air dave -- i tried working you last nite as you were booming into stuart florida but i guess the 100 watts & the wire just could not do it -- Maybe 1 day but all in all the new shack looks great

W7UUU likes this.
  12. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here from Smithville, NJ

Great signal but could not get through. Congrats on a great event!

W7UUU likes this.
  13. W7UUU

Well with a right wrist that hurts so bad I can barely use it to type this, it's all over (23:59 10/24)!

Thanks to all those I was able to get in the log!! :) I only wish my hand wasn't so messed up or I'd have surely done more

Ending stats:

390 QSOs logged, using about equal amounts of CW, SSB and FT8

46 DX Entities

23 CQ Zones

43 US States

6 Continents (all but Antarctica)

Most interesting DX: (Kingdom of) Lesotho, Africa on 20m CW and Kingdom of Eswatini, Africa on 15m FT8

VERY fun event - thanks to all! I'd say more but my right hand is about to fall off :)

Dave
    W7P/W7UUU

w7p me.jpg

KP4SX, NT9W, KD2UHD and 5 others like this.
  14. W7UUU

Just an update - thanks for all the SASE card requests - cards are soon to arrive and will go out as soon as I'm able.

I had some setbacks in getting them printed but fear not - those who sent an SASE will be getting a card in the mail!

Thanks again to all who joined in the event

Dave
    W7UUU

KP4SX, KD2UHD and W9JEF like this.