ad: M2Ant-1

W6ZR Ray Turner SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K6LPM, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

After receiving no email response and then some on air inquiries from a VK and a couple of ZL's, I did an intial drive-by, before actually stopping to knock on the door.
    I had been stopping by Ray's QTH about every other week, over the past couple months to find out if he was indeed home and if he was ok.
    Each time his home appeared occupied but no answer to the doorbell.
    This last monday was the same response. This time I tried leaving messages on both his landline and cellphone.
    Today, his daughter Toni returned my call and informed me he had passed just last night.
    She was greatful to hear of his many friends worldwide in the DX community.
    His California Kilowatt Station is pretty legendary with his HUGE multiband HF Quagi antenna on what must be at least a 40' boom, with a driven element on 80mtrs!
    I have resided in Horsetown- Norco, California for nearly the same length of time as Mr Turner and his family, yet it wasnt until fairly recently that I had just barely began to actually become acquainted with this Big Gun DX Op.
    His skyhook always intimidated me.
    It was late last year that he offered his support and encouragement that finally gave me the motivation to build and complete my own baby skyhook tower project.
    I barely just met him but he was an amazing presence and great guy.
    Regardless the acquaintence, Toni his daughter was appreciative that I am able to bring this to the attention of the Amateur Community. Surely there are others closer than I that might more appropriately pay tribute, share and would like to pay their respects to the family.
    If there are any friends that would wish to have contact with the family, I can be sure to forward your contact information to his daughter. Perhaps there are others that can better or more appropriately serve?
    None the less, I will see that the family recieves any inquiries.
    Respectfully & most Sincerely,
    Brian Suarez
    K6LPM

WZ7U and W5BIB like this.
  2. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

SORRY TO HEAR OF RAY'S PASSING. HE WAS A GREAT OP AND PERSON.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know Ray (wish I had) but thank you Brian for letting his friends know he is now at the ultimate station making the ultimate contacts. Condolences to all, he will be missed I am certain.

4. K6LPM

Thanks,
    There will be a small informal gathering in his honor with family and friends this august 18th from noon until 4:00pm
    Contact me for details if you would like to attend.
    For those unable to attend, maybe you might have a recollection, story or event you might consider sharing with his family.
    If anyone would care to write something, I will be sure that it is related at the gathering.
    Likewise, if you have any private messages or contact info, I can forward it to his daughter Toni.
    Thank you,
    Brian
    K6LPM

5. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

He was THE MAN on antenna know how. A very kind man, would help anyone. Another loss for the hobby.
    My thoughts are with his family. Rest easy Ray.

NL7W likes this.
  6. W6TR

W6TR Guest

I just found out today that my old buddy Ray has passed away. I knew him quite well and considered him my friend.
    him and K6MB Jay used to meet on 14.185 and chase DX. I lived across the valley in Corona in the 80's. We all got our
    vanity calls at the same time. Since I now live in NY I can't visit on the vigil date but I will be thinking about him.
    Bob Maser W6TR

7. K6LPM

Thanks guys, I will share your posts with others tomorrow.