ad: MyersEng-1

W6VLM

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W6VLMJR, May 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W6VLMJR

W6VLMJR QRZ Member

I'm apparently not allowed to post anywhere else, as much as I wanted to post in Silent Keys. It's understandable, since I've been a member for about 1-2 hours. I don't know who might remember W6VLM, Paul Sheffield, but he passed away in a HAM meeting 19 years ago from a sudden heart attack. My name is Alex Sheffield, and Paul Sheffield, W6VLM was my father.

To those who may have heard him when I was present and being a loud ass kid, everyone called me VLMJR (har har). But today, 05-16-2022 is the 19 year anniversary of him passing. The worst day of my life and the one that shaped me more than any other.

If anyone knew him and wants my story of that night, I'll give it to you. But that's not why I'm posting this.

Maybe no one here knew him or had spoken to him but I want to honor him by posting this on his behalf. I've had the honor to name my son as the current Paul Sheffield, and he's almost 4-1/2 years old. Paul is convinced that he is the subject of every picture I've shown him of himself, myself, or my dad at his age. I guess the look runs in the family lol.

But I just wanted to post this in memorandum. W6VLM, my father, passed away as the president of SBARC (I think he was president at that time, but he was president at some point around then) suddenly and tragically, during a meeting of the SBARC. He will always be remembered by my son in his namesake, and by my tattoo on my left forearm that combines the HAM symbol and W6VLM that I chose years ago to always wear in his honor.

Rod, WB9KMO and Steve, K6SGH I appreciate you and all of the SBARC and HAM community more than you'll ever know.

EDIT: a link I meant to post. https://www.atn-tv.com/membership/silent-keys/w6vlm

AK5B likes this.