W6RAD - Sold me a stolen dual-bander

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by N5AP, Aug 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N5AP

N5AP Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in July I purchased a like-new Icom IC-2730 from W6RAD / Jim Beard. It was so new that it came with the warranty card not yet filled out. I completed this warranty card and mailed it in to Icom, and a short time later I received a phone call stating the serial number matching this mobile rig had been reported as STOLEN.

I became a little suspicious because the "like new" transceiver had no box (seller stated as it was lost) and the warranty card appeard to be photocopied but it never dawned on me it was just a fake copy of the real warranty card from Icom.

Repeated emails and call to W6RAD have gone unanswered. Beware of this person!

Brad N5AP

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where was the ad posted?

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

His license was cancelled 11/09/2013.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Assume you received the call from Icom did they elaborate beyond what you reported above as to where or when it was stolen was it from an individual a vendor etc. did anyone follow up with law enforcement ?

5. N5AP

N5AP Ham Member QRZ Page

KA2FIR the ad was posted on eham.

KD4MOJ QRZ is showing the W6RAD license is valid until 2025.

K3XR I received a call from Beth at Icom in the warranty department. I was at work at the time and she left a voicemail at my home number so I didn't get the chance to ask any further questions but she did leave a call back number but provided no further details. I have no clue as to where to start with reporting something like this to law enforcement.

Brad N5AP

6. KA2FIR

Who’s license?

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can come by the information I would start with the PD in the jurisdiction that entered the rig as stolen your local PD may be able to help in that regard if the rig and serial number were entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

W6RAD
    upload_2017-11-15_10-29-36.png

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

VE3NC likes this.
  9. KA2FIR

QRZ shows it as active renewed 11-20-2015.

10. KA2FIR

He cancelled W6RAD and became N7RAD, then cancelled N7RAD and became W6RAD again.

upload_2017-11-15_14-22-52.png

VE3NC likes this.