ad: Schulman-1

W4WKP Johnny Fearon (SK) ATLANTA area

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N4LGF, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4LGF

N4LGF Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnny Fearon W4WKP became a Silent Key Friday November 13, 2009. Licensed in the fifties in Atlanta, he became the friend of countless hams over the years. You could always find Johnny surrounded by friends at club meetings and hamfests, near and far. Though not active in recent years, his promotion and interest in our hobby never failed. He remembered names, call signs, contacts, contests, and voices, to the end. He especially enjoyed operating cw on field day, often picking the group to operate with if they were to have bar-b-cue!

Johnny's last two weeks were spent in a care facility in Athens, GA. Management stated that in the entire history of their operation they had never had a guest receive the magnitude of telephone calls checking on him, with calls coming in from all over the country. They asked, " Did they have someone special???"...Those that knew him will certainly answer, YES.

Johnny is survived by his wife of 38 years, Faye (Robin) KA4LPT who tirelessly put up with Johnny's ham radio adventures, and friends over the years.

WA4JHE likes this.
  2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnny was a good friend as was Robin when I was in Atlanta. Sad to hear.

WA4JHE likes this.
  3. AC7RO

AC7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll miss him

I don't remember ever having more fun than spending Friday nights roaming around northern Atlanta in my dads 52 Studebaker with Johnny fearon and Al Thomas. We used to pick up Johnny at his house and couldn't figure how he could find his way around his shack because there were never any lights on.
    He was a unique person and a good friend.

WA4JHE likes this.
  4. K4ZDJ

K4ZDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnny Fearon,what a guy

Met John as a Teenager in about 1958. We hung out and did our best to get into all sorts of trouble, I was monkey( tree climbing for antenna installation) and our mutual buddy was greasy( cool talking Yankee from new york) . Johnny was great at assigning nicknames but we were never able to pin one on him. The three of us had some great times together but lost touch as we moved on with our lives. Johnny was special. You just had to know him to understand how charismatic he was. He was fun, genuine and one in a million. 73 john and thanks for being a great friend.

monkey

WA4JHE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.