ad: QSLWorks-1

W4TMR , my good Ham Friend has passed!

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KK4RYW, Feb 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK4RYW

KK4RYW Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie was ( is ) a good friend of mine. I met him in his later years 2013 to be exact. I kept him supplied with my 100 year old " Famous Amos BBQ Sauce " and he loved it. He used to put it on his Veggie Burgers when went on a Diet for a time. We would get on the Net and chat almost daily. " The After Net " as we called it was a fun time. Charlie would tell stories and yarns of long ago and it would get really detailed. Dang I miss you Charlie! He was so good at manipulating and playing with his buddies I would laugh and my Commander sitting in the back room would just cackle at some on the tales. So, you see, Charlie was one of us. Charlie I know you are looking down on us and telling me to wear my Fedora and say, " What we have hear is a failure to communicate". That was a quote from " Cool Hand Luke " if you don't remember. 73's my good and faithful friend. Raise you glass and light up a SEE ------GAR. ( The Captain ) from the FEMA CAMP.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie wasn't always gentle to the person he was talking to, but, Charlie was always right. I was amazed at his wit, his humor and his intelligence. Charlie was my friend and I feel a great deal of pain knowing he is gone. The only reprieve I have is knowing that soon I will be with Charlie and I am sure Charlie will have new stories to tell. Charlie will have wires strung all over from tree to tree in heaven. Angels and saints alike will walk by as ask Charlie, "Say, what are all those wires for?" Thats when Charlie will give them an education. If I am there, I will be busting a gut to keep from laughing. When someone asks Charlie a question, he has an answer and also a story to tell. Charlie's stories used to last for many minutes and sometimes hours. Now his stories will last for all of eternity and you will have eternity to listen. Heaven is gonna be a better place just because Charlie is there. Now, I don't mind going when my time here is up. See ya soon Charlie, 73 K4AGO, John.

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Charles T. Kluttz, Jr, W4TMR SK

[​IMG]

Charles “Charlie” Thomas Kluttz, Jr. passed on February 7, 2018 at home following a short illness.
    He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Susie (McGlamery) Kluttz; his daughters, Ellen Brady of the home and Susan Kluttz of Salisbury; and his granddaughter, Heather Elizabeth Brady of Salisbury.

Charlie was born in Salisbury, N.C., the son of Charles and Marguerite (Maude) Kluttz.
    He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

After graduating from Borden High School in Salisbury in 1952, he attended North Carolina State University, graduating in 1956 with a degree in Electrical Engineering.
    He joined the U.S. Army, where he rose to the rank of Captain in the signal corps. Upon returning from the Army, Charlie worked for Western Electric and AT&T for 35 years in management before retiring.

He married his wife, Susie, at the Baptist Hospital Chapel in 1960, while she was in nursing school there. They have been members at Centenary United Methodist Church since their marriage. Throughout his life, Charlie shared a love of sports with his family. During the winter months they enjoyed fox hunting with the Sedgefield Hunt Club and in the summer showing their horses and ponies in competitive shows, winning multiple awards. He enjoyed watching his daughter Ellen play polo at Tanglewood Park.

Once their children were grown, Charlie and Susie took up running with the Twin City Track Club and ran in races for over 30 years. They particularly enjoyed running “The Running Journal Tour.” This competition took them all over the country to many beatiful places and introduced them to many new friendships.

Charlie was a man of many hobbies. He enjoyed horticulture. Charlie crossbred many azaleas and amaryllis and named them. He liked panning for gold and rubies and had jewelry made for his daughters from his finds. He restored and worked on his antique cars. Charlie was an accomplished photographer. He took pictures for the “Running Journal Magazine” and others.

Charlie had a passion for amateur “HAM” radio, obtaining his ham license in the 7th grade. Over the years he built several radios and antenna systems and became a published author and known expert on antenna systems and homemade equipment. His articles were published in amateur trade magazines in several countries and languages. He also gave lectures to local hams on how to build specialized antennas and equipment.
    He was a member of the Forsyth Amateur Radio Club as well as the Vagabond Rag Chew Net. Charlie enjoyed these activities immensely and gained many friends through ham radio. These fellow HAMs were constant visitors while he was hospitalized and they also attended to his yard while he was in the hospital.

Charlie became close to one special friend and club member, Harlan Cobert, asking him to step in and assist his family should anything happen to him. In this regard, Harlan has been consistently assisting the family with the many duties that had been Charlie's. Harlan serves as the President of the Vagabond Rag Chew Net and is the Emergency Coordinator for the Forsyth County Amateur Emergency Radio Services (ARES).

Funeral services are private and will be held at the convenience of the family.
    Published in Salisbury Post on Feb. 18, 2018
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/salisburypost/obituary.aspx?n=charles-kluttz&pid=188214619

4. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest in peace Charlie.

5. KG4QAB

KG4QAB Ham Member QRZ Page

What can I say we've lost a great friend with Charlie's passing,he was a scholar and true gentleman not to mention one of the last of the big time tippers as he put it,one can only imagine the conversation between Saint Peter and Charlie has he approached those gates would've loved to have been a fly on a cloud.
    Charlie we all shall truly miss you and your wit !!!!!

73's my wire antenna mentor,
    The Scribe KG4QAB