ad: CQMM-1

W4HKY, John Setzler, Silent Key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AK4FD, Nov 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AK4FD

AK4FD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John Setzler passed away at age 77 on Sunday 11/3/2019 from medical complications. He lived in Hickory, NC. He has been a Ham Operator for 24 years & was first licensed as an amateur in 1995 (KE4YOL), upgraded to General in 2000 (W4HKY), and then to Extra in 2014, (AK4FM in March 2015). He was the V.E. Leader for the Carolina Amateur Radio Club in Lincolnton, NC and has given MANY Ham's their tests thru the years. He worked part-time in two-way radio back in the 1960’s and held a Second Class commercial radio-telephone license. He also was a Hickory, NC Police Officer for about 6 years and made all or part of his living in photography, mixed with graphics and printing, for about 35 years.

He retired in March 2014 from AT&T Mobility. In his spare time his hobbies were photography, shooting, and amateur radio. He liked to work DX, mostly on 10, 12, 17 and 20 meters. His station revolved around a Kenwood TS-590-SG and a Cushcraft R-8 Vertical. He will be missed by many in the central NC area and the world! Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. WB4UD

WB4UD Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP John you will be missed... de WB4UD

AK4FD likes this.
  3. AK4FD

AK4FD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He definitely will! John was instrumental in getting me to take my Technician license last year when I was doubtful, he showed me my first antenna (tape measure antenna for foxhunts), he was a great man!

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU LEE & FRIENDS OF JOHN

RAINBOW WITH PRAYING HANDS.jpg

==.===GOD REST HIS SOUL

==--===== candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

John M. Setzler, W4HKY SK

John Martin Setzler
    Hickory, North Carolina
    Apr 5, 1942 – Nov 3, 2019
    John Martin Setzler, 77, of Hickory died peacefully at home on Sunday morning, November 3, 2019.

He was born on April 5, 1942 to the late Dr. Edwin L. Setzler and Nancy Martin Setzler.

In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by his brother, Edwin L. Setzler, Jr.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Janice Cobb Setzler, son John Jr. and wife Tonya, daughter Margaret Belcher and husband Lyle, granddaughter Marilyn Davis, grandson Mason Davis and sister Alice Richmond of Durham.

John grew up on the Lenoir-Rhyne campus where he became known as the college brat. Having free run of the campus gave him ample opportunities to get into mischief. He graduated from Hickory High School and attended Lenoir-Rhyne College. He worked at the Hickory Police Department where he ran the Records Division and was the department photographer. He also worked in the printing and graphics industry, the electronics industry and the cellular telephone industry. He was an avid photographer, Ham Radio enthusiast and a member of the Hickory Coffee Club where he served as Treasurer.

The memorial service will be held on Wednesday, November 6 at 10:30 am. The family will receive friends following the service in the Fellowship Hall.

Memorials may be made to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 9580, Hickory, NC 28603 or to a charity of ones choice.

Bass-Smith Funeral Home in Hickory is serving the family John Martin Setzler.\
    https://www.bass-smithfuneralhome.com/obituaries/John-Martin-Setzler?obId=8671516