ad: M2Ant-1

W2ZM

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Jun 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have that Tube Lore II book on order. Looking forward to getting it.
    I didn't know Bob had a HF-300 rig. Don, you are probably now the only ham in the world running that tube. I have never seen any for sale at hamfests. They must have been around more in the '60s and '70s. It's definitely one of those tubes that can't be shipped, like 450THs, and maybe 250THs. Anything with a long plate structure.

I've looked for them on-line and finally turned up some far out website from a vendor to the East, Ohio maybe, that had all kinds of gov't surplus etc. stuff for sale and HF-300s came up in some sort of search you could do on their inventory. I think they were NOS. The price was reasonable but I recall Don that you declined to take them because you have a number already, and they'd probably get smashed up in shipping.

2. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few will remember the early 2000s when Bob was diagnosed with throat cancer and the prognosis was bad.

He decided to downsize his equipment collection and sold/gave away gear to what sounded like a couple dozen active AMers.

Later on he landed up pulling through.

After surgery and some time, Bob used to get on the air quite often.

His voice was wrecked from the cancer and operation but he was not going to be stopped.

Little by little Bob and his voice recovered.

Quite inspirational.

WA3VJB, W1TRY and K5UJ like this.
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the best time when Bob anchored the AWA's Sunday afternoon AM gatherings on 3837Kc. He always ran adequate power, and his conversational approach to the roundtable brought good comments and discussion.

My fondest memory was the time he did an "all nighter" with an early Heavy Metal Rally founded by the late Bill Kleronomos, KDØHG, who was on from Colorado that night on his homebrew transmitter, "La Bomba."

Bob was running a McMartin with a pair of 4x1s modulating another pair, and I was on the Collins 300-G. The three of us for a while would hear and invite check-ins on 3885, organizing a flow of contacts for people to log, who then would either stick around the roundtable, or move on among the high number of additional AM QSOs up and down the band.

Bill floated down frequency to start up another organized gathering, and Bob and I remained on 3885. I put in about ten hours that night before I crashed early the next morning. Bob would spend about 13 hours, as I recall, as the Grand Anchor of the Heavy Metal Rally on the Big 85.

I will miss his presence on the band.