W2WDX - House Fire!!!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2WDX, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA1EIG

WA1EIG Ham Member QRZ Page

John, I saw your post on Steve's SDR site. So sorry to hear about your fire. We went through one several years ago with our second home in Europe. It was a nightmare. Thankfully, sounds like you have great insurance. Let us know when you find your cats safe and sound!
    Best, Gary

2. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We lived this house fire nightmare as well. Good insurance companies should take care of you. Ours did. Made sure we were all safe & comfortable. Cats most likely split the scene. They should return in a few days or so...
    Sorry man....

K9ASE likes this.
  3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck and I hope you get everything taken care quickly. We will see you on the air soon I hope!

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear this, but by the time you smelled something, you already had heavy smoke and heat according to your post... smoke detectors???

W1TRY likes this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to read about this John, but I am glad that you're covered for much of the material loss. Let us know when the kitties show up, my bet is that they beat feet outta of there and are waiting to see you on-site for their return. Check with the neighbors of course.

6. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to hear you are safe John and I hope your equipment survived intact.

Things could have been different as you could have been asleep.

Thank God you're ok.

Pheel

7. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

John, so sorry to hear that anyone goes through that terrible experience. I hope you can rebuild quickly and get this behind you. Glad you are okay, and the kitties will probably show up when they realize the danger has passed.

Pete

8. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Good news ... found one of my cats. He's fine. Thanks to you all for your best wishes.

W1BR, KA0HCP, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  9. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

OK ... radio withdrawal is setting in. I waited all these years to get a good AM station up and running and now ... well.

Things are moving along quite quickly. We finished the inventory on the house contents last week. Remediation (mold control, water removal etc.) is ongoing. This Tuesday we do the "scope inspection" to determine the amount of reconstruction work needed. Fortunately, the only part of the house that was involved in the fire was the upstairs attic, yet the roof itself was not penetrated. However I suspect a new roof will be put on. The downstairs suffered catastrophic water damage from FD saving the house. The local FD did a great job actually; got there fast and squashed the fire quickly.

I think I have a good general contractor, recommended to me, whose main interest is in restoration of old homes. This one is almost 100 years old, pre-Levitt. Have to find an architect and engineer yet.

Now we have to go through all the contents and throw away everything that's wasted. Big job. Hope the insurance contents coverage pays enough to replace at least the basics; furniture major appliances and such. We did a very complete inventory so there's a lot to account for. I was planning on remodeling the house in a small way anyway ... however this is not the way I planned on timing or scope. However, thanks to insurance the costs are mitigated. If you do not have homeowners insurance with good fire coverage ... well ... I personally see now its import.

As far as the station, the gear looks OK. I think it's all easily restorable with a bit of work. Not sure about my big computer workstations yet. They cost more than my entire station. Once we start going through all the junk I'll pull those out, clean them up and see if they still function. I'm just happy I went with all watertight fittings and connectors on all my cabling. It should be just fine. My dipole and the feeder are intact and still up there. Maybe I'll fire up the Flex and amplifier one night in the backyard just to see if it still works, and say hi.

Now I just need to figure out how to setup the Flex and amplifier at the house and use it remotely while the house is being rebuilt. I am clueless how to do that exactly, but I am sure it is possible. Will have to look into that at some point.

Currently, my sister and I are currently staying at a Marriot Towneplace Suites. If you ever need a suite (or hotel) I highly recommend Marriot. Been using them for years in my former line of work. The carrier is currently searching for a Ham/pet friendly house for temporary housing while we rebuild. That should keep them busy for a while. I don't mind the suites at all. Hihi!

See ya,

John, W2WDX

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The people that have had flooding, I know, cut the lower wall or the entire wall away to get let the structural wood dry, some adding construction site blowers.

..when dry, they use KILZ primer.

..some have to do the same for ceilings and flooring.