W2WDX - House Fire!!!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2WDX, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all.

I was on the air last night on 3.885, and about 8PM EST my last words were, "I'll be right back, something doesn't smell right". I was smelling that odor of burning electrical. So I figured I'd post here to let all on the air with me last night where I went. I disappeared quite quickly and finally.

I quickly realized it was not the station, went through first floor. Nothing. Checked tha basement, nothing. Went to the second floor. Thick black smoke and heat. Oddly no visible flames, just intense radiant heat. The fire department was there in minutes, and hosed down the whole second floor.

Everyone is safe and fine, the exception being my two indoor cats which are still MIA as of today.

Upon inspection with the building inspector, the structure is fortunately sound. However the entire interior of the home is destroyed from all the water. All the ceilings in the first floor came down, and everything in the house is destroyed by water. The station area was relatively spared somehow. I had turned of the main circuit breaker before exiting the house so by the time the water came, there was no power. Hopefully this spared the gear, and my computers.

I have to get into the house tomorrow and myself and the crew chief of the meditation guys are going to disassemble the station and move it out of the house. I'm hoping for the best. I have good insurance, so now it's just a matter of going through that process and reconstruct.

I just had all the electrical redone in the house, all excpt the upstairs which was not used for anything but storage. So in hindsight ... D'OH!

I am currently at a Mariott nearby, pending more permanent living quarters. So it appears I will off the air for about a year while we go through the insurance process and until reconstruction is complete. Of course, I will stay in touch here and I'll be listening for sure.

Talk to you all soon.

John, W2WDX

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear this!
    What on the 2nd floor could have caused the fire?

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m relieved that no one was hurt! Sooo sorry that happened. Hope that you’ll soon find long term accommodations at a reasonable cost and location, and that the insurance picks up a big part of costs for that.

It sounds like there was a fire within the joist space between floors. I’m guessing it will take some time for the fire investigation to be completed.

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect it was a extension cord used for a window fan that was up there. The fan was put up there decades ago by my dad. Didn't know it was there. There was a bunch of clothes being stored up there and I think that was the stuff that caught fire. I never went up there since I moved in. Was a project for this summer. Guess it got done for me.

One good thing, I am fully covered. I upgraded the insurance to max, when I moved in and took over the finances last year. So basically I get a whole new house and contents. It's just a long process. So ... from the ashes ...

AC0OB, W8AMD and N0TZU like this.
  5. WO4K

WO4K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel for you, John. Been there, got that t-shirt. Hope I never get another. Here's where having the right insurance company means everything. Fortunately, we did. Like you, we lost everything, including pets. As we sat on the back porch among the ashes, trying to figure out the way forward, the adjuster showed up and handed us a $5,000 check. "Go buy some clothes, get a place to live, and send me the receipts." It was that way through the rebuilding,too. Bottom line, we ended up with a new and much better house. So hang in there for this too shall pass. My hope is that you will be as fortunate as we were. Bud WO4K

N0TZU likes this.
  6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about the news. Fire is in everyone's worst nightmare category along with major medical, flood, and so on. Glad yours wasn't a complete total loss but it sounds like a lot got trashed. I inherited my dad's fear of anything fire so I don't have anything in the attic, have left all the old wiring undisturbed and try to be aware of all the loads on each circuit so there isn't one that's running near its breaker limit. My wiring is old BX, Romex and the new wires are in conduit. I missed the aluminum period. One thing I like about the LEDs and CFLs is they pull a lot less current through the old ceiling fixtures and all that old wiring in the attic. Well anyway, I'm rambling...you will probably wind up being better off but it will take some time for the process to unfold. I hope you didn't loose a lot of keepsakes, records, and family heirlooms.

7. N2VJ

N2VJ Ham Member QRZ Page

John, this is terrible news. Very happy to hear everyone safe. God bless you during this trying period.
    Best Regards
    Jamie

8. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can imagine you are devastated, John, as I would be under similar circumstances. The good news (if there is any to this story) is that this started while you were awake and alert. Had it started during the night while you were asleep we might be reading about you being an SK instead. Hang in there OM!

9. W3MMR

W3MMR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NOOO! Damn dude im super sorry. Well, at least you're okay. Hopefully your cats are okay man. And hopefully it didnt damage too much equipment. Head up brother.

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "Ultimate Crap-out". ;)

Glad you got out OK, and have something to rebuild. bill