ad: Radclub22-1

W2ONV, SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N2RJ, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Solerno, W2ONV, passed away on August 12th, age 83 years.

"In lieu of flowers,contributions may be made to the Bill Solerno(W2ONV) memorial fund of the A.R.R.L. Foundation, 225 Main St. Newington, Ct 06111".

Bill was a ham for 75 years... wow!

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear he's made the "Big QSY" Bill was a pioneer and a legend. And what an incredible voice.

73, OM

Eric

3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. One of the "great ones" has gone QRT. [​IMG]

4. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

20Mtr's will not be the same without the voice of bill W2ONV coming thru my speaker grill, OVER OVER.  [​IMG]

5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked him several times, and liked to listen to him on the radio.

R.I.P Bill.

6. 2E0JRZ

2E0JRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

14.178 Will never be the same without bill W2ONV RIP

BARRY M0NOK

7. WA1BFO

WA1BFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just learned of the passing of Bill now a silent key. The airwaves on 20 meters will never be the same. That Edward R. Murrow like voice and One Nice Voice will leave a tremendous void! W2ONV was a beacon on 14.178 and set a standard for all us wanna be audio enthusiasts to try to strive for. His diplomatic way of operating DX with radio amateurs from all over the world highlighted his popularity. Sadly, that One Nice Voice is now missing on the world DX stage and we are all that much poorer. Hopefully there is a big amateur radio station " In the sky" where we can all communicate again.

I first had contact with Bill back in the early 70's when he ran UPI and got plenty of sound advice on a tower problem I was having at the time. Unfortunately since the early 80's I have not been that active because of other commitments. For several years I have been monitoring the audio group on 14.178 MHz and I guess my biggest regret now is that I will not have the opportunity to speak to "Live from Downtown, this your friend Bill".  

My warm and heartfelt condolences to all of Bill's family.

Tom

8. KG4ITA

KG4ITA Ham Member QRZ Page

I probably learned more about ham radio just listening to Bill than I did from all the tests I studied for. Many thanks my friend. Your friend, Doug.
    KG4ITA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.