ad: QuirkyQRP-1

W2AMP, SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2VHW, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2VHW

K2VHW Ham Member QRZ Page

September 1st we lost a great friend and active radio amateur, Ed McCabe, W2AMP, left us suddenly and his absence leaves a large void.
    Since the 1940's Ed held the call W2AMP as a teenager in Bronx, NY. In the late 1940's Ed served in the U.S. Navy, reserves, in airship operations. He was stationed at US Naval Air Station, Lakehurst,NJ with the airship squadron ZP 751. I had many interesting conversations and learned a great deal about airships. In my work at ABC I was involved with operating a tethered helium filled aerostat and those sessions with Ed filled me with lots of information.
    I worked alongside Ed at ABC-tv Network for a short time and got to know and respect him. Ed had been a graduate of 'RCA INSTITUTES' and worked at CBS radio & tv, WINS radio transmitter, and ABC radio & tv. Ed had worked in 'kinescope recording' before video tape evolved and spent time at the WABC-tv transmitter at the Empire State Building before landing at the Union City, NJ facility where ABC-tv ran all the 'movies' and pre-recorded shows to the network.
    Ed had retired in 1987 from ABC but remained ham-radio active until his passing.
    Ed leaves a cherished family behind and an admiring list of friends. Ed's son, Tom, N2AXX carries on the family's amateur radio tradition.
    I certainly do and will continue to miss this magnificent man. We all will!

Marvin, K2VHW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.