ad: CQMM-1

W1pl

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AB6ZE, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB6ZE

AB6ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

W1PL
    Silent Key

On the 21st of January 2008, the greatest Hungarian Radio Amateur of the International Hungarian Amateur Radio community Dr. Radnay László (Les) W1PL passed away. He was born on 05-26-1912. His Hungarian call sign was HA5CPL.

He was an avid CW fan and created the International Hungarian Amateur Radio Club in 1989 and he created and edited their newsletter “Hírmondó”. Not only did this club made possible the connection among the Hungarian operators living around the world, but by virtue of this club he created the connection with the Hungarian Amateur Radio community in Hungary as well.

The Dayton Convention was one of the forums the amateurs met regularly, the other was the Sopron Convention in Hungary. He was tireless in organizing and participating in these events. The first time I met him was in Dayton in 1994. I knew his writings; lively, interesting and full of enthusiasm, but I was impressed. He was a very good natured unassuming gentleman, always smiling and engaging someone and everyone around him.
    The second time I met him was in May 1995, during the Los Angeles “Convention” of the Club. He asked me to edit the newsletter, but on account of my full time work I could do the role of assistant editor only. I suggested WA6YPP to be the “chief” and it was agreed upon.
    He spent a day at our house tutoring me about the work and we had a good time.

He tried to be on the air as often as he could, but the years prevented him to do any “rag chewing”. He was very active on the computer “digital channels” like “Echolink”, “Skype”, “Messenger” and I had the opportunity to talk with him occasionally on the round table meetings.

On December 31st he fell at his house and couldn’t get up. He called for help and he was taken to the Hospital. He had thrombosis in the leg, pneumonia and congestive heart failure.
    He had time to send a message to HA3IW that he was in the hospital, that’s why he wasn’t able to contact him for a while. His daughter Eva suggested that he would like to get a letter or card while in the hospital. I sent him a card with the Sun and wild flowers and I informed him that the new Sunspot Cycle 24 has just begun… I hope he could read it.

This world was better, just because he was around; we became better persons, just because we knew him… We all will miss him a lot!

ab6ze

2. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.