ad: MLSons-1

W1GUU - Don Ames

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W1GUU, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1GUU

W1GUU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dad and I ran out of tomorrows on 12 Jan 2020. Dad was a Ham my whole life. While he was on hospice care I got my license and will eventually apply for his call sign. I have attached a photo of Dad in the tent doing a contest back in 1977. That is me in front of him...I would have been 8.

Attached Files:

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

Donald R. Ames, W1GUU SK

[​IMG]

Don Ames
    October 30, 1942 - January 12, 2020

Donald R Ames passed away at his home on January 12, 2020. He will be fondly remembered by his wife, Virginia Ames along with son, Brian (Tina) Ames, Gary (Mary) Ames, David Petrucelli and Mark (Tammy) Petrucelli and daughter, Lisa Peterson. He was the grandfather to Gregory, Addyson, Brent, Aprille, Tyler, Erica, Jason and great grandfather to Tyler and Cecilia. He was the son of the late Benjamin and Hannah Ames and survived by his brother Arnie (Trina) Ames and sister, Carol Ames (Philippe Perebinossoff).

Don grew up on a farm in Illinois with his brother Arnie and sister, Carol and proudly served in the Air Force from 1962-1966. After the Air Force he worked for Honeywell and Digital as a computer engineer and traveled the world with his work. He and his wife then retired to Milledgeville where he enjoyed fishing and driving his boat on the lake,serving his community, traveling with his wife and was a Ham radio enthusiast not t.o mention was a great Thanksgiving day cook! He will be greatly missed by friends and family.

A Luncheon will be held at 12:00 on Friday, January 17, 2020 in Hopewell United Methodist Church with a celebration of life service following at 2PM with Rev. Ted Miller officiating. A visitation will be immediately following the service.

For those who wish Memorial Contributions may be made to Peaceful Purpose Hospice; 106 A N. Jefferson St., Eatonton, GA, 31024; https://www.peacefulpurposehospice.com/
    https://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Don-Ames/#!/Obituary

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI GARY,

I AM VERY SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR DADS PASSING.

THIS SITE WILL BE HELPFUL TO YOU AS YOU START THE PROCESS OF OBTAINING YOUR DAD'S CALL.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service/amateur-vanity-request-types-2

RESPECTFULLY,

4. IK6BAK

IK6BAK Ham Member QRZ Page

W0AQ likes this.
  5. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

AD0W RESPECT fully vy73 djoaj ekrem

6. W1GUU

W1GUU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you sir! This means a lot to me and my family. I got my General just before we lost dad and I picked up his call sign a couple months later. I also got my Extra. I was on lock down this Spring with nothing else to do. I have a few of these old cards, but I love seeing this one. 73. Gary