ad: M2Ant-1

W1AW's Code Transmissions.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, Jun 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's one for the experts;
    What year did W1AW discontinue sending the Code Bulletins & Morse practice transmissions by hand keying?
    Any other pertainant information would be greatly appreciated as well... VY 73... Lane n8aft

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

October, 1962 QST makes the first mention of tape sent code speeds, so it was probably shortly before then.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N2EY

N2EY Subscriber QRZ Page

Your best bet is to search old QSTs.

From what I was able to find, W1AW had paper tape transmission of code practice and bulletins from the very start. Such technology was pretty common at the time (in commercial use).

Before HPM died, there were two ARRL stations: W1INF (at the HQ offices) and W1MK (at Bradley Field, now Bradley Airport). W1MK did the bulletins and code practice, plus other operation; W1INF was mostly for testing in the HQ lab.

Then came the death of HPM in early 1936 and the New England flood soon after. The W1MK location was severely damaged, and W1MK off the air. These factors caused ARRL to raise money (not an easy task then) to build the Maxim Memorial Station at 225 Main Street, Newington, which still houses the station. FCC reassigned W1AW to ARRL, in memory of HPM. The ARRL wisely bought lots of land at the location, and in the early 1960s built the present HQ building.

There is a QST article (May, 1936, page 69) which says that W1INF will transmit the bulletins and practice normally done by W1MK due to the damage of the flood "using the automatic transmitter salvaged from W1MK" - which means a paper tape code keyer in the jargon of the times.

If you are an ARRL member, you have online access to every QST all the way back to Volume 1 No. 1. If not, and you want to know ARRL history - become a member and/or build up a collection of old QSTs.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I had not considered the use of paper tape until just after writing this post.
    Only wish the "Archive Search" worked better on the web-site. Seems I almost need to put in a page number for it to find any results.
    Perhaps owning the archived volumes of QST on CD is the better way to go than trying to search the web-site.
    I assume HPM died at a relatively young age, which was common yrs ago.
    Thanks Jim for the info!

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly, tape sent spark transmissions were common by 1921. CW quickly gained preference over spark around that time as well.

N2EY likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a trick that works really well:

Search the December issue of each year with the keyword "index". One of the results will be the annual index. Save it, print it out and study it. The annual index will give you a very good idea of where to look.

If you are REALLY interested, download and print the Table of Contents for each issue. That's more work, but gives a bit more detail.

Or do what I did: Collect old QSTs - and read them.

Don't know - try the index trick first.

He was 66. Born 1869, died 1936.

For a good biography of HPM, see QST for April, 1936, starting on page 7.

You're welcome! There's a lot more - and a lot of myths....

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

HPM died in 1936, age 66.

I was a radioman in the reserve 63-68 until I was commissioned. I did several two week cruises in radio shacks, DDs and DE, and did not see any paper tape. Maybe at COMMSTAS. I don't recall any reference to them in the RM3 training book. I did not go to the "A" school, maybe it was covered there.