ad: k1jek

W1AW to start on 6 meters again

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC3JIN, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:07 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to know, thanks. I live a bit closer then you and at a very high elevation in the Pocono's and can get them ground wave so I will be listening and sending reports.

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good news. I think it is important for them to encourage activity on the band.

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, aren't there already enuf beacons on 6?

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KB4QAA

We aren't discussing that. In any case, the ARRL is not setting up a beacon. More people will be interested in hearing bulletins than simply hearing identifiers endlessly repeated.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hop" usually refers to an ionospheric reflection. 6m is good for sporadic-E skip at certain times of the year. This tends to be around 1000-1200 miles for one hop. At 190 miles you are way too close for that.

The sporadic-E skip can be interesting. 6m can suddenly open up with stations 1000 miles away being stronger than nearby stations. The band can be open for a while, then suddenly fade away.

However, you are probably close enough to W1AW for some good ground wave or tropospheric propagation if you have a good antenna system (and if W1AW does). I'll let some others with more recent experience give you the details.

N2EY likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Technically, there is no real "ground wave" signal on 6-meters. At 50 MHz, "ground wave" can be measured in feet / meters and not that many of those. "Ground wave" occurs on MF and, at times, up to the 80/75-meter band and has to be vertically polarized. What people call "ground wave" is really "line of sight" propagation and the radio horizon is right at 1/3rd longer than visual "line of sight".

There are tropospheric conditions that extend the range and those conditions are subject to change at any time.

Glen, K9STH

N2EY, WD4IGX and ND6M like this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

From the OP's link

QUOTE:" another goal of the W1AW transmission on the Magic Band is to act as a beacon on 6 meters, especially from the Northeast US...."

10. KB4QAA

Yes, "Act as a beacon" to attract users to the band and modes. NOT to install an automated CW propagation beacon. Figurative action vs. literal technical installation.

N2EY and WD4IGX like this.