W10 delivery optimization?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, Apr 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep coming back to this. So far it has done nothing for me with 2 equivalent desktop W10 computers on a home group. I have not read where anyone else gets this to work either, it seems like a lot of MS hot air. Any one got this thing to work? What I want it to do is download updates on one computer and then the other one get the updates without having to reload the updates right from MS (through my limited BW ISP). Or is that not what it is really about? Everything I read from MS is pretty obtuse.

Hopefully soon I will be going to an unlimited data MoFi LTE ISP and get rid of this satellite crap. At worst a new tower with Verizon on it is going up not a mile from me. I could buy a couple of their $20 20GB hotspots, one for each computer. We had a bit of storm last night and the internet was off for at least 3 hours and it was perfectly clear out after about 30 minutes.

2. W6IR

W6IR Ham Member QRZ Page

Your best bet for now would be to do a manual download of the updates, stick them on a thumb drive and install on your computers.

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked that up, it looks like a real pain in the whatever. First you have to know which ones you need. Actually I never do seem to run out of BW, but it would be nice to save a bit, sometimes I do run up against the 20GB/mo limit I have. And if w10 goes to a new version, that would be huge. When I got this computer with 1903 on it, I think, I took it to our church where they have unlimited and did a complete rebuild, because it was having problems anyhow and just went to V1909 while I was at it.

Most of the time it seems to run fine but lately I've been having trouble even getting updates, I get timeout errors, but finally yesterday my computer updated, the wife's which is the same model still won't. It's sure fast with the M2 SSD. I had trouble in the beginning with BSOD coming out of sleep, so I don't let it go there any more. It starts in about 10s anyhow.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree it sounds like it's for my purpose, and I've read those obtuse instructions and I agree with your observations about the metered connections. I've also read a fair amount of MS 'support answers' and no one seems to be able to make it work. And the answers from MS are a lot of doublespeak. I've messed with the controls and nothing happens. Each computer still downloads it's own updates. Notice there are monitors in the advanced tabs that show how much data has been downloaded by the local net. Nothing ever happens here.

I was hoping maybe someone had actually made it work and knows how to set it up. Maybe I'll try the HP Assistant. I seem to get answers from them once in a while. Thanks though.

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's got to be a bunch of hot air.. 4 local PCs (windows 10)... all have local optimization etc. Most show 100% downloaded from Microsoft instead of on my LAN.

upload_2020-4-9_10-16-30.png

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is one reason that I do not like Windows 10.

Who would want a Update from another users computer that is on the internet ?

That still uses internet data stash and may include a virus. :eek: Like Facebook.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I told it (sometimes I do speak to my computer out loud) to use my LAN and not PC's on the internet. I just checked one of my other 10 machines and it did use the 13.0MB updates from this PC as shown above. Such a little amount in the grand "scheme of things".

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's pretty much MS hot air too. One machine is supposed to make a 'cache' of the downloaded updates and 'feed' it to the others on the LAN. I've never seen it happen. Yeah, 13MB is not much if you have unlimited data plan but it can add up week to week on a limited plan. Luckily so far I haven't come up against the limit, but close.

I am working on getting either a MoFi ISP with unlimited, or go to Verizon when the new cell tower comes on line less than a mile from me. Verizon data plans are not cheap as I understand though.

Actually one month we did get there. We had a 'friend' come to stay with us for a week or so and he had his cloud based iphone and after a week he had used up over 15GB of data. Luckily we were only a week from the end of the month. I told him he no longer had access to our WiFi. My router collects traffic data hourly/daily/etc and I noticed that every time he came in the house the data usage would go up by GBites (after the fact). I guess that's nice if you can do it. I really don't know about this cloud based stuff though. I turn it off.

And people were worried about our govt collecting our data in the past years. Now no one seems to be worried about google, yahoo, fakebook and all these other collection systems. "Oh, but it's 'free'". It's called marketing.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to really watch what they call "Unlimited".

I have "unlimited data" and they limit the speed after I reach my 8 gig monthly limit. Then it is like dial-up speed.

Also, Tethering off of a cell phone limits the data speed a lot, Compared to what the phone can do. A hot spot may as well.

You need a big magnifying glass to read the small print.

[​IMG]