W0TSM, Tom Mahoney may be scammer

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB2JIX, Jan 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done, Sir!

W4END likes this.
  2. W4END

W4END Ham Member QRZ Page

Still doesn't change the fact I am still looking for an Icom ID-1. Hahaha Oh well. Maybe I'll wait on the 9700.

3. W2KS

W2KS Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy, AKA Tom Mahoney, tried to scam me too by trying to sell me an SB-200, which was sold by W7ERF on Jan.17, 2018. He is using the email address W0TSM166@gmail.com.

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammers have many throwaway email addresses so when one is closed they'll use the next one they have. Looks like they added a 6 to w0tsm16@gmail.com that must have been closed. They way google spies on us you would think they would pick up the patterns of scammers.

5. W4END

W4END Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was discussing this issue with PayPal they confirmed that the "w0tsm16" email was shut down. They have a pretty good idea where the scam is coming from and it's not in the U.S. And I agree, Google should be able to figure out the pattern of this guy. Problem is they probably see this a lot...which sucks.

6. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, he's tried to scam me as well with the sale of a PalStar AT5K tuner. I mentioned interest in buying such a tuner on a legitimate For Sale posting on QRZ and the scammer sent me an e-mail offering the same tuner for a better price. He just contacted me today to determine whether I was still interested.

He's now using w0tsm166@gmail.com

I refuse to purchase anything from people who do not have matching e-mail addresses to that listed on their QRZ page, or a missing e-mail address on their site.

On Saturday, February 10, 2018, 12:49:51 PM CST, Tom Mahoney <w0tsm166@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you still interested

On Thursday, February 8, 2018, 8:30:12 AM CST, Tom Mahoney <w0tsm166@gmail.com> wrote:

I have for sale a Palstar at5k tuner in a perfect working condition. Comes with manual, shipping box and power cable . Asking $570 shipped. Let me know if you are interested.

7. AK9S

The scammer is taking previously posted AD photos and manipulating them with Photoshop. Then the photo(s) are e-mailed to the potential victim as proof of ownership and condition. Since I am a terrible person, I had the scammer do some "free" Photoshop work for us :).

Enjoy the photo comparison...same photo, different callsigns!! BEWARE - the quality of the forgery is pretty damn good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. AK9S

Serge Zoruba <xx@yy.com>
    To:gmail-abuse@google.com
    Feb 11 at 9:17 AM

Below is a documented attempt to defraud. Scammer took a previously posted photo of an item from a legitimate seller and erased his Amateur Radio call sign and used a different person's call sign instead. He is impersonating another Amateur Radio Operator and has successfully scammed others of thousands of dollars via PayPal.

Please Google 'W0TSM" and you can read about his exploits.

Kindly deactivate his e-mail address after investigating and confirming the information provided.

Thanks.

Serge Zoruba

9. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m seeing more and more ads like that. Looks too fake. That pic is from a 2015 ad. They’re going back to old ads so images not fresh in everyone’s mind. I only see one photo.

10. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

You can often see evidence of the photoshop if you enlarge the image by a significant amount. Also you can do a Google Image Search to see if the same image has been posted elsewhere, this method is very effective.