ad: M2Ant-1

W0TSM Tom Mahoney IS a SCAMMER there is no Might to it!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5RPZ, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5RPZ

KG5RPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Although I doubt this scam is being done by the real Tom Mahoney W0TSM, someone is impersonating him and using his callsign and QRZ account information to entice folks to buy items from him in which naturally the buyer never gets.

Yes, these things happen, It happened to me I was looking for a Dentron MT-3000A and he contacted me, posted pictures, I googled the photos to make sure they were in fact not a copied photo. It all seemed legit, I used paypal goods and services, and I will get my money back. Should have could have would have doesnt really matter at this point.

There are predatory folks out there and there always will be. I have made online purchases over the past 15 plus years and in that time this is only the second time I have had an issue. The first time similar situation but it was on Ebay. What really sucks is the real Tom Mahoney assuming this is a case of identity theft is getting a bad wrap and hasn't done anything.

So be safe out there my friends, never use Friends and Family via Pay Pal, If I would have I would just be out 270.00 right now. As I said, I will get my money refunded, its just going through the process is aggravating and to be honest I'm more let down about the fact I don't have a Dentron MT-3000A on its way than the fraud aspect of this scenario, of course I want my money back, but I really needed that Tuner.

I hope this information may help someone else, that's the only reason for my posting this today. I'm not here to vent or cry about being a victim. I'm just letting those who are too trusting there are wolves in sheeps clothing. So just be smart and don't make the mistake I did.

KG5RPZ

2. KJ6WUY

KJ6WUY Ham Member QRZ Page

THEY ARE USEING THREE EMAILS w0tsm16@gmail.com, wotsm234@outlook.com, hutchisonjan25@gmail.com I spoke to PAYPAL last week about this and they sent mesg to Jan Hutchision to pay me back my money. If they don't here back from her PayPal said that they would pay me back my money on the February 6th and go after her, she was the middle person on this.

KG5RPZ likes this.
  3. KG5RPZ

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to pass it along when the time limit is up on my claim. I havent spoke to anyone yet, just filed a report there's a waiting period for the seller to respond then they take action. I will give them a call Monday and include this information with my claim.

Thanks and 73!

4. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can also include my posted e-mail and altered photos showing the Scammers attempt to defraud me. I have it all posted in a different thread on this forum (the 7-page thread on this Scammer.)

5. KG5RPZ

Just wanted to update those who took the time to read my post... And this may be a tip that could help you in the future. Firstly I used Goods and Services via Pay Pal which is the first thing you wanna make sure you do. It may take a while to get your money but if you choose friends and family as the payment auction your screwed. Anyway... In addition to this my Pay Pal is funded with a Credit card that I have solely for internet purchases. No disclaimer I dont know that all Credit cards are created equally, but I can tell you that Capital One Venture cards don't play with scammers.

I made the report via Paypal, and the usual waiting period yada yada yada had to go through its natural timeline of events.... Well just for the hell of it I reported the fraud to my Credit Card company as well... Long story short, Capital One said screw Paypal, and had my money back on my card the same day. I dunno if this was an isolated event or normal business operations, but I can say Capital One took care of my end and put the money back on my card almost immediately.

So I'm just putting this information out there as a secondary line of defense when paying via Paypal, if you have a Credit Card, you may have other options besides waiting on Paypal to sort it out.

73 and I hope no one else has to deal with this idiot...