VX7R doesn't keep charge

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG0P, Apr 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. KG0P

KG0P Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend has an old Yaesu VX7R that acts pretty strange. He doesn't have a wall charger for it so he put it in his car to charge and it indicated it was fully charged. With it plugged into the power in his car, he could transmit normally but as soon as he unplugged it from the charger he couldn't transmit. This is with a new battery. I don't understand. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
    Mike
    KG0P

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a VX-7R, but some handhelds have smart circuitry tied to the charger/external power socket so they know if you've plugged in a charger or an external DC power source.

Might take a "different plug" to engage the charger. But I don't really know, pays to consult the manual carefully.

3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

My old VX-5R would power or charge from the same port, Either mobile or at home. Worked the same when in the drop in, too.
    Sounds like the charge circuit is bad, or the supply may be too low of a voltage.

Ed

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard of this problem before.

There is a SM fuse that opens for some reason. Maybe because of charging a bad battery using the DC input port.

But the drop in charger should still charge, Because it connects directly to the battery.

5. KG0P

KG0P Ham Member QRZ Page

That question from the alleged KG0P is NOT my question. I didn't ask it. Someone hijacked my callsign.

Mike
    KG0P

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that you Mike ?

Are you for real now ?